> happily occupy an entire evening.

>

> It wasn't odd to have two

> or three "best" friends.

>

> Being old referred to anyone over 20.

>

> The net on a tennis court was the perfect height

> to play volleyball and rules didn't matter.

>

> The worst thing you could catch

> from the opposite sex was cooties.

>

> It was magic when dad

> would "remove" his thumb.

>

> It was unbelievable that dodgeball

> wasn't an Olympic event.

>

> Having a weapon in school meant

> being caught with a slingshot.

>

> Nobody was prettier than Mom.

>

> Scrapes and bruises

> were kissed and made better.

>

> It was a big deal to finally be tall enough

> to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.

>

>

Getting a foot of snow

> was a dream come true.

>

> Abilities were discovered because

> of a "double-dog-dare."

>

> Saturday morning cartoons weren't

> 30-minute ads for action figures.

>

> No shopping trip was complete,

> unless a new toy was brought home.

>

> Oly-oly-oxen-free"

> made perfect sense.

>

> Spinning around, getting dizzy and

> falling down was cause for giggles.

>

> The worst embarrassment was being

> picked last for a team.

>

> War was a card game.

>

> Water balloons were

> the ultimate weapons.

>

> Baseball cards in the spokes transformed

> any bike into a motorcycle.

>

> Taking drugs meant

> orange-flavored chewable aspirin.

>

> Ice cream was considered

> a basic food group.

>

> Older siblings were the worst tormentors,

> but also the fiercest protectors.

>

> If you can remember most or all of these,

> then you have LIVED!

>

> Pass this on to anyone who may need a break

> from his or her "grown up" life.

>

> I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!

>

> ~Author Unknown~

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Aaaaah, Those Days Aren't Gone Forever...

Well -

A foot of snow is still a dream come true, and ice cream is still a food group. :)

...And here's one to add to the list.

---> "Being in traction means you're spending an afternoon at Chris' house."

CN1

May 6, 2003
Thanks for the memories :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thanks Chris for freshening up sweet memories!
It shows that kids are (were?) the same all over the globe.

Ah yes, you could play soccer on the street and had only to stop every few minutes because an automobile passed by.

When there was no school in the afternoon, Indians and Cowboys met each other in the woods behind the village and fought heroic battles.

And the little girls were in the woods and played house with their dolls between the roots of the big firs.
:) :) :) :) :)

It saddens me that the youngsters of today don't know most of this stuff anymore. :( :( :(
But I guess (and hope for them) that they have just different 'most important things' than we did.

Ron

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
There was another e-mail like this one:

You had a phone, but it had a dial on it & your "number" began with 2 letters.

You didn't use it that much, it was far easier to go to your friend's house & yell thier name from the street until they came out - or someone else yelled from inside that "they" weren't home.

Your mother & father found time to dance to "old Music" in your living room. (but you thought that was Yuccky)

Every day when you came home from school - your mom was there to greet you - she didn't work.....she didn't have to!!

The most popular kid was the one with the Color TV.

You played real 3D games (Tag, Army, Cowboys & indians) because there was no such thing as Atari

your TV only got about 6 channels, and if you wanted a clear picture, you didn't call the cable company, you got up & smacked it & adjusted the antennas on the top of it.------ If that didn't work, you called a repairman, that came to your house & actually had "tubes" in a box, after he switched 1 or 2 out of the TV - it worked again.

If you had a High Tech TV - it probably came with a remote control - 2 buttons, On/Off and Channel which would just turn a motor on the dial channel changer.

You actually can remember what channels were on VHF & UHF & If you're "really good" you can remember what the station's call letters were & what UHF & VHF stand for. Extra Credit: You remember the "Original NBC Peacock" and those 3 notes G & E & C you can play this on any piano.. :) :) (G-E-C for general Electric Corporation)

You actually looked forward to "Family Night" wether you played cards, watched TV, read Books, or did housework.

Sunday night was Ed Sullivan night - nuff said!!! :D

You thought it was really cool to climb to the highest part of a tree - even if you had to have help getting down.

The "biggest part" of your summer vacation was going to a vacation place again, even though you always went there every year.

If you fell down on a friend's property & skinned a knee - you would cry (until a Kiss made it better) noone thought of suing anyone :) -- My personal favorite!!

Well - That's All I can remember - Thanks again Chris :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb: :wave: :thumb:

F

Fred_M

You had a phone, and a TV? You went on vacations? Rich spoiled Yankee is what you are. :D Fred

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
dash10 said:
You had a phone, and a TV? You went on vacations? Rich spoiled Yankee is what you are. :D Fred

Yeah! We had a phone, but it was on top of a phone pole out back... they didn't have enough wire to get it inside our house.. :D :D :D :D :D

The TV was a 15" set on top of a TV tray like stand & Yes - I pulled it down on top of me once... scared the heck out of my mom & good thing I broke it's fall, because it still worked after putting a "nice" bruize on my arm. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

And if it weren't for my uncle & aunt, taking us down the shore for a week every year - no, we wouldn't have had vacations. :) :) :)

~~ Proud to have been, "Well Off" (off "what" - I don't know) ROFL
But I agree - I'm definatly showing my age :(

One more just for you!!! :) :) :) The only "recordings" in your house were:

---- 78 LP's
---- A few 33-1/3's
---- maybe an 8 Track Tape
---- And a "Reel to Reel" tape recorder..... And Yes I still have 2 of them :) :) :) 1 has tubes in it :)

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
remember

You young'uns don't know what old-timey is. Talk about B&W TV, when I growed up there was no such animal. We sat around the radio at night listening to "The Lone Ranger", "Famous Jury Trials", amd "Mr. District Attorney". You younger generation was plumb spoiled. I could add more, but I only type as fast as I think and this took a long time.

Lynn

F

Fred_M

We ate every other day. We would get up hungry and walk 25 miles to McDonalds. We would then hang around the dumpster to closing time. When they threw away the unsold products we would pig out and feel good with our bellies full. We would then flatten out some weeds in a field and go to sleep. When we woke up in the morning we would walk back home. When we got home that evening we were once again hungry, but we were too tired from walking all day to start back, so we would mash down some weeds and go to sleep. When we woke up the cycle would repeat. Such was my life until I was 18 and decided to move closer to McDonalds. Then I ate everynight except Christmas, 4th of July, and New Years. Then McDonalds stopped closing on them day. That's when I started putting on weight. Survival of the smartest, that's the conclusion I came too. I was smarter than my parents and now I eat every day. Fred