I Done Doed it- Weathered A Lokie

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Yep I finally went and did it. I weathered a locomotive. It is an old Tyco Santa Fe F7A that I had laying around doing nothing. So I figured what the heck and used it for practice.

First thing I did was use a wash made of Folk Art Licorice and blue windshield wiper fluid at 1:1 mix on all the fan grills and side grills to give them depth.

Next I dry brushed the Folk Art Licorice onto the roof to give it that well used snotty look.

Then I dry brushed Folk Art Charcoal Gray for some grime around the trucks and few other places.

Then I gave it a wash with Charcoal Gray 2 parts, Dark Gray 1 part, blue windshield washer fluid 5 parts.

Lastly I sealed it with a matte finish.

I did not do anything with the trucks. I just wanted to see how the body would come out. So here is the first attempt.

As I previously stated this was a practice run. I am not totally happy with the way it came out. It did, however, come out better than I thought it would.

Attachments

• loco1.jpg
    loco1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 167

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Well Tom, the only thing I see wrong with it is the fact that it is a Santa Fe engine...what I mean to say is that they were kind of famous for keeping all their equipment clean & shiny, especially those warbonnet F-units...
Now if that were a Penn Central, or L&N F-unit pulling mine runs circa late 60's-early 70's, that weathering would be spot-on!:cool:

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Not bad, Tom. I love to see modelers getting their feet wet trying something new.
I used a lot of the old Tyco, Bachmann and the likes to practice painting. Next thing I knew I was making modifications and adding details to them.
Now I need to learn to weather them.
Nothin to it, but to do it.
Keep up the good work.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Congratulations to you Tom! Whether you're entirely happy with the results or not, the important thing is that you worked up the nerve to try it. And as I found out when I weathered my first (and so far only) loco, it does take nerve to take brush to beautiful gleaming factory paint job.
So good for you! Feels good doesn't it?

cheers
Val

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
That fact that this is your first attempt at weathering a loco, its very good, I might suggest a touch of white chaulk (Dry Brushing) on the roof to lighten it slightly otherwise it looks excellent.
Shamus

P

philip

A diesel mechanic would

suggest a rack / injector adjustment. Runnin a little rich. Send her to the shop for repair. I like it.

philip:cool: