I did something rash....

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I superglued the couplers of two locomotives together. :eek:ops: I did it on purpose after trying several times and different ways to stop a dummy loco from uncoupling from its lead powered loco. These are magnetic couplers. They came uncoupled in the same spot every time...the place where a grade starts. EVERY other piece of equipment I own navigates this section of hidden track beautifully...except for the paired locos. So, after messing with couplers and the track I dripped two drops of superglue on the connected couplers. After a few moments I ran the consist over the trouble spot without any problems. The locos have no difficulties anywhere else on the layout (I can back up and switch cars through several turnouts, etc.) despite being stuck permanently together.

Obviously there are some things to think about. Wheel cleaning is Ok since I tack a piece of cloth over track on the layout, spray it with alcohol and run the locos over it, holding the powered one so the wheels spin. The big problem will be if I want to take the consist off layout. Picking it up and storing it without breaking off a coupler might be a challenge.

I don't recommend this technique to any one. :) But, it did save me some aggrevation in the short term...any one done anything else rash like this?

Oh, any great ideas for how I might desolve the superglue if I ever wish to do that?
Ralph

F

Fred_M

I have taken to painting them with acrylic paint which seems to help them stay together, keeps the springs on better, and give them a nice rusty look. The paint's roughness helps I think, I paint them inside extra heavy.

Superglue remover works great. I found it at the drug store. Fred

shaygetz

Ralph said:
The big problem will be if I want to take the consist off layout. Picking it up and storing it without breaking off a coupler might be a challenge. Ralph

I don't figure it would be much different than the way us folks who have big steam (4-8-8-4s, 2-6-6-4s, etc.) have to handle them. Have you considered a drawbar of some type, like they use to connect tenders to their lokeys?

cobra

Ralph , you can ' disolve ' the super glue quickly and easily with a special tool , called a HAMMER ! I'm laughing with you ....don't know if I would have done things any different ( probably not )

NEIL

kjd

Acetone, aka fingernail polish remover, dissolves CA. There are some non-acetone nail polish removers though so read the label. I know you said you adjusted the track but it sounds like the symptom of too sharp a vertical curve from the flat to the grade. Locomotives are generally more sensitive because they are longer in length.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to use it for another locomotive, but if you want to i would use either fingernail polish remover or super glue remover. Is there any way to remove the couplers at all to put different ones on there? Have a Safe & Wonderful Weekend :wave:

2slim

Ralph,
It's not that rash, EMD drawbarred the FT locomotives in AB sets. It didn't last that way because when one unit started having problems or was due for maintenence that ment taking them both out of service, didn't go over too well! From a modellers perspective 'who cares'?

You may have actually stumbled on a use for those lousy plastic KD ripoff couplers, glue-em together for use as drawbars! You could even mount them between steam locomotives for a more realistic connection, (some actually used couplers to connect the engine and tender).

One thing to keep in mind is if you use these couplers and want to remove the trip pin, some couplers use the pin as a 'holds everything together' device so it may be better to cut the pin rather than remove it.

2slim

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
You guys are making feel better about my impulsive move with the glue: it seems to work, its not irreversable, and it even hints at prototype practice! :)
Thanks!
Ralph

McFortner

2slim said:
You could even mount them between steam locomotives for a more realistic connection, (some actually used couplers to connect the engine and tender).
Good! I thought I was crazy for doing that on some of my son's locomotives that the drawbar kept breaking between the engine and the tender.

Goes to show you, if a modeler does it, SOMEWHERE there is a prototype that did it too!

Michael