I couldn't resist these...

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
the price is right, id say new they would be about 10-15 each, who makes them? but since there heinz cars they are worth more, i would have paid alot more than 20 for those.

The auction says they are "MDC" cars. I don't know what that means. Is that a brand name?

At any rate, they looked great, so I went and bought them. My issue is that I decided to model late 19th and early 20th century railroading. The problem with that is that there isn't very much available. Roundhouse had some good stuff in the 2004 Walthers catalog, but they were bought up by Horizon (aka Athearn), and when you go to their website, none of the "old time" stuff is available yet. (?)

Evidently, not many people model the early stuff. I live in Boston, where you can't throw a rock without hitting a LHS, but none of them carry much in N. Even Charles RO in Malden, "the largest train store in America", only has a small corner devoted to my scale, and it's all modern stuff.

C

Catt

MDC and Roundhouse are one and the same.The company now owned by Horizons is now part of Athearn.

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Chrles Ro does not seem to have alot of N scales i thought somewhere on this forum some one asked about the best place to buy N scales and i remmber a few good shops

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Excellent buy Zman! Wished I'd have seen them, would have outbid you as I am always on the lookout for them. You have to love those old time 36" Billboard reefers and I have a number of them. They are a little on the light side and I usually add a little more weight to them.
If you are looking for "N" scale LHSs you might have to travel a little if you live in Boston. You have "Ken's Trains in Sudbury, he is an exclusive "N" scale hobby shop. Little further away in Hampton, NH you have "Neil's". Both are excellent "N" scale hobby shops. Ken's Trains has unusual hours and I would make sure you call before going out.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Those old timers look really cool when they are given a good weathering job.Problem is,its so hard to bring yourself to do it ;)
So do you have yourself a set of 60' overland coaches for your old time layout?
These are also getting difficult to come by.
Somebody has some nice old wood log buggy kits on sale this month.2 cars per kit and nice short cars.I think it was caboose hobbies I saw them at.
Another good car choice for your era if it fits your modeled location. Nice cars,even if only used as a static model on a siding :)