I Challenge ALL Cardmodelers!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The WoodEngraver's Castle

I finally finished Phil's Castle after fiddeling with it a little bit each day.

I have a few more things I want to do to it but I could not wait any longer.

So here it is...Thank you Phil!

Attached Files:

2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I would say "my hat's off to you" but I don't have one yet! (poor attempt at bad joke) That is very KOOL!!!:grin: I want one!!!

Well, looks like you figured out my instructions!
    Or you're a Genious!
    Haven't made up my mind.
    You gonna try the torches? (I did'nt see them) I could not seem to get it,the parts were too small for me (?) at the time. Been meaning to add them...
    Thank you for that! You did a great job!
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

In the second pic, you may notice that I put wall sections on the inside of the entrance to give it a fully finished look.
    I did this to the rear entrance as well. I thought it would look better when people peek inside at the knight guarding the entrance.

No, I have not done the torches yet. I am not sure how they are supposed to be built but I do plan on tackling that one as an addition a little later on.

I also added a small spire to the sides of the front entrance with the WE shield on them.

I will be slowly adding on little things as time permits me.

Thank you for the wonderful model Phil. I have really enjoyed building this one, especially because I can get creative with it.

4. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Wow post more pictures of the Cutty Sark please, I have this kit and I also only live an hour away from where the real one lives and I have to say it is one the most beautiful sailing ships of all time. I have visited many times as a child and have been insid a few times as well, it truly is gorgeous second only in my opinion to the Victory. Mind you I wouldn't fancy building a paper model of the Victory, I have seen a review of a wood model of the Victory and they reckon you should allow 3 years for completion. The guns alone if built in succession would take a year!!!
  5. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

I would also like to see more pics of the Cutty Sark.
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

BTW, how can I post pics here? (apologies for the stupid question...)

I want to post a pic of my 1/32 model of Dr. Z's White Knight with the resized SS1 of Ralph Currell...
  7. thewoodengraver

You are Welcome Russell!!!
    I have made up my mind...Russell IS a Genious! And a Mind Reader too!
    DAMN DUDE!!! I missed the wall inside the entry, wanna know why?
    My prototype had included this detail (different texture though) but I got so frustrated with the fit (I wanted the model to be perfect for you all) that I scrapped the inserts :(
    Some day...I will release this idea and include it with the model, with LOTS of other extras. Keep on tinkering with this Russell, I'm excited to see what you come up with next!

Hans Christian,
    When you post a thread there is (should be) a button below the post window that says "manage attachments", click the button, choose the file, and click upload.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Aw shucks Phil, twernt nuttin!

I just printed the page with the entrance twice and glued the wall to the inside.

The door was off center so it was a little challengeing. I also had to trim a little off the width to make it fit of course but the effect was worth the effort.

Here is a little better look inside...

Attached Files:

9. Flying Pancake is finished,this thread is realy nice , I can finish my build before you guys stop talking..Here' a picture..
    Already started the next build it's the Snecma "Coleoptere" a French X-plane It looks like a flying cookie-jar...
    Cheers Billy

Attached Files:

10. thewoodengraver

Billy, All you need now is a flying cow and you have Dessert! (another attempt at a bad joke)
    Great Job my friend...keep em coming if you want! Love your work!

Russell, Even though I have seen this shot before (my version) it still gives me shivers up and down.
    Thank you for increasing the value of the "money shot".
  11. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

That sure is an unusual looking airplane. Was it by chance designed to fly in the ground effect. With those stubby wings it has the look of a ekronaplan(WIG, WISE,wingship,flightship)
  12. charliec

charliec Active Member

No it was an example of a low aspect ratio wing. The Vought XF5U never
    flew but the predecessor experimental aircraft did. Much more at:

13. Flying Food

Hello Lizzie,
    This is a model of the Chance Vought XF 5U- 1 Flying Pancake,this particular model never flew, because they had serious problems with gearboxes, It's little brother did, the V 173(see photo)
    Funny you mentioned the Ekranoplane, I just started a thread about that and got a tip where to download a simple model from the 70ties,in sovjet quality. I love to build weird planes...Hey, love your work!

Attached Files:

14. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Thanks that is quite informative. It gives me a better vocabular for talking about these things. The low aspect ratio is why is looks like an ekronoplan. The article mentioned that this style of wing produces lots of ground effect lift. It seems to be problem for the flying pancake rather than a desired thing. "Cord length" is another good addition to my vocubular. I didn't know what to call it in my thread on delta wings.
    A low aspect ratio seems to be a good thing for the craft that I'm designing since I want it to fly and slow speeds. My warpable wings give a variable aspect ratio. See now I'm using my new vocabulary.
  15. shrike

shrike Guest

Low aspect ratios mean (all other things being equal - a caveat for any kind of these discussions) a more nimble aircraft with a higher roll rate and rate of climb. Short stubby wings can also be made stiffer and stronger to survive higher g maneuvers
    Not so good for speed or efficient cruising tho'. That's why all of today's airliners have long narrow wings, and sailplanes even longer.

The Russians experimented with a few airplanes in the 30s with telescoping wings that had variable area as opposed to 'swing' wings that have a variable sweep but constant area. The idea was to have big wide chord wings for slow flight and narrow high aspect ration wings for speed. It evidently worked quite well, but come summer 1941 esoteric experiments took a back seat to rugged production.

BTW Re: XF5U , It was more Navy politics than gearbox problems
    that killed it. The Navy wanted jets to justify the bigger carriers that jets required. A fast STOL fighter didn't fit in that picture at all
  16. damraska

damraska Member

In the mid 1980s, NASA also experimented with a mission adaptive wing using a modified F-111A. The wings of the plane could swing and change in cross section for different modes of flight.

17. charliec

charliec Active Member

I noted that Vought came up with a solution to the high induced drag of long
    chord wings. (That's the drag caused by the airflow at the wing tips forming
    a vortex). Putting the propellers at the end of the wings and rotating them in opposite directions effectively "unwound" the vortices - reducing the induced drag. (The nasm article explains it much better). The estimated max. speed was
    pretty respectable for a piston engine aircraft.

18. thewoodengraver

Do you see why I love this website so much?
    We have the most incredibly talented people I have ever witnessed, and the most intelligent. WOW, makes me feel like I am reading Scientific American!
  19. :twisted: Hey... You started this...
    Cheers Billy
  20. cbg

cbg Member

One more model in two views to add. . .

Don't know if Leonardo was thinking low aspect ratio with this design ;-)