I Challenge ALL Cardmodelers!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Jul 8, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Kevin G,
    Of course my friend!!!
    I think the rules (rule) are, no posting pics that were posted previous to this challenge, that pretty much leaves it wide open. Just take a NEW pic! (I'm surprised nobody thought of that)
    Progress builds welcome too...just post SOMETHING okay buddy?
  2. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've just about finished the first build of the flyingfish WIG craft that I showed earlier. Here it is. That wire is just a support. The craft flies over water and lands on water. The long skeg is copied off a flyingfish wish has a long lower lob of its tail. The fish uses it to push off the water as it leaps into the air. I figure that I will put either a propulsor of some sort on the end of the skeg or else a hydrofoil to make it a hybrid craft.
    Since this is a first build there are still some things that I need to work out.
    I'm not sure if the preportions of the wings are right, and I will shift the color more toward orange with the next build. Eventually it will get people in the cockpit. I suppose it would make sense to display it with the skeg going through the surface of the display stand and to remove the wire support. if it did I wouldn't have to actually make the hydrofoil or propulsor at the end of it.

Attached Files:

3. thewoodengraver

I LOVE the design on this one Lizzie! I agree about the wings, they look a little short compared to the fuselage, that is of course unless they are made with some sort of Roswell type alloy! lol
    So when do we get to download this beauty? (always hoping).

Listen, Lizzie, now that I've got your attention,
    I have a question about indoor lighting for photography and I thought, who better to ask than someone who has 6 months of darkness to contend with? Besides your photography is excellent!!!!!!!

I have a small desk lamp with an incandescent bulb (regular 40 watt) and I need a bulb that will light up my miniatures (3 to 4 inches away from the camera) without flooding the lens. Do you have any suggestions?
  4. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Thanks for the quick response Phil!
    Well since I have the build thread up and running, here is the most current pic of my Wicked Wench build.

Not as nice as those tiny masterpieces that you made but it is a MUCH easier scale for me :-D

Everyones builds look great so far and can't wait to see what everyone else is gonna post!
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I was thinking that the wings are slightly too big. This is a surface effect craft and so has much stubbier wings than an airplane. I wish I had a photo handy of a real ground effect craft. The Soviets were the first to build one.

I don't know if I can be much help on the photography. I have tunsten photography lights that I bought several years ago when I was documenting sculpture as part of getting a BFA in art. I'd forgotten that I had them until about a week ago
    In February I put out the money for a Canon Rebel X camera that does high resolution and allows all sorts of adjustments. I just recently figured out how to set the camera for tungsten lights.
    Before I hauled out the photo lights and bought the camera though I was doing fairly well with using ambiant light. The photos would come out too dark but then I'd put them on the computer to adjust the color balance and contrast. I was using JASC software and still use it a lot. For low cost solutions I'd look at your software. For higher cost solution I'd look at camera. Photography light won't do much good if the camera or software can't be adjusted to handle the lighting. But I'm still learning on all of this.

I just realized that what I have could be considered a photo studio. Here it is. You can see the three tungsten lights and my big digital camera on the tripod. I took this photo with my little digital. The backdrop is a roll of white wraping paper. Several years ago I made the table to hold the flatfiles underneith. I needed a place to store artwork, mattboard, and paper, so I bought the flatfile and built the rolling table around it. I built the table too big and couldn't get it out of the shed where I built it. I pulled it appart and rebuild it narrow enough to fit through a door. Moral--Don't assume that furniture will stay in the room where you built it and always measure the door frame.

Attached Files:

6. cbg

cbg Member

@ Lizzie,

I'm really impressed by these fantasy models of yours. for your edification I linked a couple of helpful display ideas pulled from Jan Muller's Me-163 Komet model that I think would work for your flying fish. His "fish" is red orange, too!

Click here and scroll down towards bottom to see how he achieved his result.

Keep 'em coming, cbg
  7. thewoodengraver

Kevin G, that is one sweet model!! I just wish that Trader Sam would include pics of the completed project. I would make it more inspirational and easier for idjuts like me. Can't wait to see this one finished! Good job so far!

Thanx Lizzie!
    Woops, went the wrong direction with the wings.
    Your photo "studio" looks very much like mine. Except my backdrop is a sheet of cardstock.
    I have Jasc software also...and a couple others...I always thought editing photo's digitally was cheating. Why would I think that??

Oh, Photography! Sometimes the pic is perfect, sometimes the pic is HORRIBLE, ALL from the SAME EXACT SETTINGS???
    I do love my little camera though!!
  8. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I only think it's cheating if you change your built model's appearance itself. I 'could' Photoshop out every seam and blemish until it looked like it was injection molded if I desired (I don't).

Conversely, I enjoy seeing models overlayed on an interesting background as the blank white or cutting mat (my usual choice) does grow tiresome on the eyes after a while.
  9. thewoodengraver

I did that once, the M.T.B. 102 was set on a temporary "universal" Ocean, I wanted to use the ocean again for a different project so I airbrushed the wake.
    I too like different backgrounds,if you can make the model appear real with the use of a background it has more impact, but impossible to tell the scale.
    I would NEVER edit any imperfections or mistakes digitally.In the model itself, that is. The background is fair game. I do all the model editing on the cutting mat and the paint tray. I have been quite TEMPTED to digitally add rigging to my tiny ships, but I refrained. Are you kidding, someone here would spot it immediately!
  10. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Memo from Tractor Plant

We have recently posted new photographs of latest obsolete vehicle for export. Does this count?

11. thewoodengraver

All card/paper models count...why don't ya just post it already...
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

For photomontague stuff I'm trying to make the model look like it's full sized. I could off course try drawing the whole thing and never building it, but that wouldn't look very convincing. So for this work editing is fair game as long as it makes the model look fullsized. Most models are of things that actually exist so I don't see any reason for making them look fullsized. It is easier to take a picture of the real thing. It becomes what writers call "a card trick in the dark". It might be really nifty but noone can see the trick.

Documentation photos are for recording the model as it is and so I edit color balance, exposure, and composition of the photograph, but not the model.

I suppose that gives me a dislike of the middle ground. Display of a model can be either about the model or about what the model represents. In showing a XCV Catspit (or whatever) are you trying to show a XCV Catspit or are you trying to show a model of an XCV Catspit? The answer determines what is fair and effective in editing a photograph.
  13. possm_23

possm_23 Member

I am working on the Curtiss Robin(FG) notice the original model stand:twisted: View attachment 1973

Attached Files:

14. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Attached Files:

15. thewoodengraver

Great advice Lizzie! I will use your suggestions, just wait until you see my "future" posts...(I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...).

Possm 23, A model stand with yummy inside? where do I get one?
    Awesome Curtiss progress!
    I like your "secret" helper too! :)
    MY secret helper, one day, when I left him alone at home, decided to make confetti out of a USS Constitution I was working on for 6 MONTHS.
    He is a Blue Healer dog named Bones. (yes, that is a reference to Dr. McCoy).
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I can see Bones McCoy as a blue healer. :grin: Too bad you weren't working on the USS Enterprise.......... that would have been irony!
  17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

Here is a picture of my latest build.

The two trucks in the middle are the ones I just finished, the others I have done over the past few months.

Most of them are Minibox clones, there are two real Minibox models, the Marlboro and Liaz trucks on the right side of the picture.

To read more about Minibox and Minibox clones, check out my blog www.paperdakar.blogspot.com

18. rowiac

rowiac Member

"Secret Helpers"

Here's mine...

Attached Files:

19. thewoodengraver

(how to tell rickstef we love him with a "generic" response?)...
    aw FORGET that!
    WE loves you rickstef!!! I knew you'd come by and post some awesome models! Tanx fer dem truks!

that is a very cool...jet? behind all that fur? LOL
    I kind of like this "secret helper" twist.
    (please try to put the models in front tho' so I can drool better!).
  20. My most recent build is my newest downloadable, the chess-set. I have already posted some pic's in another thread. Don't want to bore you guys too much by posting them here too. :wink:

Best wishes