I Challenge ALL Cardmodelers!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Jul 8, 2006.

1. josve

josve Active Member

My first on my last.....Piper Cub from FiddlersGreen on the Horch from Modelik under construction.

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nice job Johnny!

What did you use for the "windshield"?

3. hey John,
    It's about 25 inches high and 17 long

Cheers ,Billy
  4. josve

josve Active Member

Hi Russell!
    I used overhead foil for the windows.
    The Cub was my first paperbuild.
  5. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Thats more beautiful then the real one, I was there last year and impressive as it is the cranes all over it kinda spoil it. Mind you my dad got his rucksack with his camera and stuff in it as soon as we got into Barcelona so we were in a foul mood anyway, needless to say it's not a kit I wish to build!.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Josve, Nice job on that Piper! and that Horch is coming along, Thanks!

I give you Micromodels/Modelcraft set a1 Romance of Sail, AKA, Micromodels set s1 Six Little Ships and Galleons.
    How can I post a challenge and not challenge myself? I can't.
    So I took these already tiny Micromodels and scaled them DOWN to...I dunno...somewhere between 40 and 45% of origional.

Here they are shown next to a lighter and the Mayflower from the same kit built origional size. I also posted them on my website on the Cardmodel Gallery page or see them HERE.
  7. rowiac

rowiac Member

Epson-Nakajima Transporter Tractor

Here's one I've been working on forever. Home remodeling projects have been keeping me away from card modeling lately, but I finally managed to finish this one the other day.

More pictures are in my gallery:

8. hpept

hpept Member

Congratulations Phil,
    great (??!!) build. This is what i call tiny. I'd like to know if the masts are made by rolling paper or you cheated a little (more than legitimate, i suppose, at this scale). I definitely like them.
  9. thewoodengraver

rowiac, Excellent tractor! That and ALL accessories are definately on my to-do list. Nice job!

Micromodels calls for us to use "bristle" for the masts. I do not have any.
    To be honest, I never thought of rolling paper for the masts. There is NO WAY to stabilize them enough for rigging at this scale. The origional intention was to cut the bristle slightly longer than needed, slipping it through a hole made in the deck, and securing with a liberal amount of glue.

For my version, I used balsa wood. Soft enough to trim easily, stable enough for rigging, however, I could not find a willing Microspider!!!

This present was intended to be put at the end of this challenge. The response was so wonderful that I decided to give it to you now.
    Besides, they came out SO WELL I could not wait. I'm sorry these pics do them NO justice. I will work on that.

This is by NO MEANS the end of this challenge so if you have not posted yet...we can wait!
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Bravo!! Phil!!

Dare I say Encore?!

Just kidding!! They are awesome Phil!

I strain my eyes on the originals! I could not imagine attempting any reduction at all!

Congratulations Phil, on a job well done!

11. thewoodengraver

Here's a little better pic, (sure wish I'd kept that book on "Photography").
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Those are beautiful little ships. Thank you for sharing.
    For photographing I've took a roll of plain white wrapping paper and hung if from the wall behind a table just like a photographer's backdrop. I've got photography lights set up but have had good results using ambiant lighting.
    I'm still figuring out my camera and am going to start shooting with apiture priority so that more of the image stays in focus. I've got a tripod so slow shutter speed isn't a problem.
    A piece of white paper might show off your ships better than does the woodgrain but otherwise the photograph looks great.
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dang Phil! I WAS close with the tug thing! WoW!

Amazing at the different models we all work on, but enjoy from the same hobby!

14. Texman

Texman Guest

Outstanding job Phil. Good to see others coming to
    the small side!

15. hpept

hpept Member

Hey Texman,
    i'm on the small edge too. Look down... wingspan is only about 2cm

I'm thinking to scratch build some 1:500 planes like C-130 Hercules, G-222 Aeritalia, C-119 Fairchild which i already did in plastic and epoxy putty when i lived in Italy.
  16. thewoodengraver

Thanx everybody! :)

hpept, that's a tiny spaceship! What is it? Where did you get it? I like it. I also like those "laser beams" How'd you do that?

I was tyred when I took those pics of the 6tinies, I don't know why but this kit was VERY challenging, fortunately I only had trouble with six of them! lol
    I am going to shoot more pics until I get it PERFECT. These were done too well to let them be camera shy.

I had so much fun on this build (between hair pulling and swearing) that I want to do ALL my Micromodels this size. From now on, when someone says Micromodels are too small, I will let out a big belly laugh!

Let me make this one point, then I'll shut up.
    Anyone who says Micromodels are too small will NEVER accurately finish a model by Modelik, for instance. We must MASTER these tiny parts if we want to progress. This is only my opinion.
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Phil.......... that's a Snow Speeder from Star Wars.......... they attacked the walkers.......

small stuff............... 1/48 scale is my idea of small!:twisted:
  18. thewoodengraver

19. hpept

hpept Member

john already answered to the 1st question. I got it from the download section of this site
    and then adapted in size to the AT-AT walker i had.
    About the laser beams, i simply fired the red button under the model :grin:
    The laser streaks have been added with photoshop, by means of a special filter that i downloaded somwehere in the net. The same effect is used also by SW fanfilms to add the lightsaber effect during jedi fights.
  20. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Phil, would it be against the rules for me to start a build thread and then post the finished picture here? I am building something and would like to start my thread about the build but don't want to break the rules so I can still post it here in the challenge! It is almost done just a couple more days lol!