I bought used Stampede, it's gutless?? Help.

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by vettespeed, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

I bought an electric Traxxas Stampede used off of ebay RTR w/a Dynamite Vision Peak 2 charger and (2) "AMP MAX II 1500 MAH" batteries. Everything is used but seems to have little use on it. I don't know what to expect because I am new to electric R/C but was just simply looking for something to play around the house with that would run good in the grass and handle a little terrain, just your typical unperfect bumpy lawn. The GS Strom Pro Nitro) is just too loud for the neighborhood. This thing seems to be gutless. It goes OK on flat carpet or ground but any incline at all or any bumpiness in the grass and it will barely move. It definately isn't doing wheelies like on the side of the box. Maybe the batteries are shot??? Maybe the motor is shot??? Maybe the charger isn't working properly??? When I hook up the batteries to the charger the LED indicators climb until it reaches the "Full" green indicator which then proceeds to flash but the directions to the charger say that "once the battery has peaked, the charger will automatically switch to trickle charge. You will know that the charger has entered trickle when the charger repeatedly beeps, and the LED continuously flashes." Well the charger doesn't beep. Am I expecting too much from this thing or do you think something is wrong? I have made adjustments to the ESC as the directions describe and everything seems to be running free without anything binding. Any advice that would either point me to the problem or let me know that my expectations were too high would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, Mike.
  2. nellyneil

nellyneil New Member

try some 2400 mah batteries they give plenty of power
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

Are the batteries warm after they charge? What motor and gear ratio does it currently have? Check the brushes in the motor and make sure it is clean and lubed. And what ESC do it have?
  4. Jag

Jag New Member

My stampede moves along pretty quick for a "monster" truck. No problems with inclines etc. It'll wail down the road, then I can crank on it and do power slides and it'll light up the tires. I would say somethings not right with yours. Just my two bits worth
  5. pike

pike Member

you got sold a lemon sorry man
  6. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

I'm starting to think the motor/truck has more time on it than was stated. The motor appears to be the stock "Stinger" motor that is shown on the side of the box and it has the stock XL-1 speed control. The motor does not look like it comes apart. Can you not take these motors apart to clean/check/replace brushes etc. Do you simply replace the motor when it's tired? What does a good replacement motor cost? I'm not too annoyed at the purchase since I only gave $150 for the truck, (2) batteries which I'm starting to think are fine, a Dymanime Vision Peak 2 charger, controller is full of new alkalines, and various extra screws/nuts/clips, etc. Thanks for all of the replies and keep the info coming if you have info to offer. Thanks, Mike.
  7. mastmec

mastmec Member

The stinger is a throw-away motor, a good stock motor is about $25.00 and a good mod. motor is about $45.00
  8. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

This Stampede has the XL-1 speed control and it says it can handle a 17 turn motor. The hobby shop it trying to steer me in the direction of 27 turn stock motors for about $38.00 that they claim will run a lot better than the 20 turn motor that comes in the Stampede, can this be. Is there something out there that is better but will retain good runtime, reliability, and is affordable, $40.00 or less. I'm seeing a lot of "Mad Dog", "Venom Fireball" & "Racers Edge" motors and "Racers Edge" and "Powerizer" batteries really reasonable on eBay, are these things junk??? Thanks guys, Mike.
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

Any of the good 27t stock motors are better than the stinger, better torque, RPM, they can be rebuilt. You could also try a 19t motor, lots of RPM and great power.
    As far as batteries, go for 2000 or 2400mah battery, good runtime and power and pretty cheap, go with well known name brands, they usually have better products.
  10. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

11. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

12. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

OK,
    Here's where I'm at. I took advice from many of you and bought a "BRAND NEW FACTORY MATCHED GP3300 SET (GP rated at 1.17volts or better)" that's the description off of eBay and it is from cheapbatterypacks.com, it will be here in a couple of days. It includes 1 foot each of red and black of 14 gauge wire, shrink wrap and a Tamiya plug. How the heck do I put these things together, is that everything I need, will I have to solder them together? Haven't decided on a motor yet but will in a day or two. What's the deal with the P2K and P2K2, the R/C shop here says the P2K is torquey and the P2K2 is a high RPM motor, is this right or do they have it backwards. As far as charging goes so far on my 1500 cheapy batteries my Vision Peak 2 charger has 1, 2, and 4 amp settings. I guess I should charge at 4 amps I keep hearing to charge as close to 5 amps as possible. In all honesty I thought a slow charge was better on batteries, DUH, remember this is all new to me. Awesome info so far guys, thank you very much, Mike.
  13. mastmec

mastmec Member

Will your charger do NiMH batteries? The hobby shop is right about the P2K & P2K2 motors.
    And the higher rate you charge your batteries the higher output they will have.
    Did you buy loose cells, if so you will need battery bars to put them together, and you should get better connectors, like Deans Ultra plugs.
  14. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

My charger will charge NiMH but Oh crap, do I have a problem here. I did get loose cells, I think that might have been a mistake. After trying to find info on assembling these cells for a battery pack I don't see anything about making a "stick pack" out of them, everything is about making "flat packs". Is it possible to make "stick packs" out of loose cells or will a flat pack work in the Stampede and is this what I do??? HELP
  15. mastmec

mastmec Member

You can buy kits to make your own stick packs, but if your truck will take a side-by-side do that, they don't get as hot, the shrink wrap on stick packs holds in more heat.
  16. vettespeed

vettespeed New Member

roadragehobbies.com seems to have good prices and free shipping. Can someone maybe suggest a good 19t spec motor off of roadragehobbies.com that is reasonably priced for what you get. Also tell me what I need along with the motor. Will I need motor leads, capacitors? Do I use the leads off of the original Stinger motor? Is the Trinity Monsters of Touring 19T Double Motor or the Team Orion 19x2 Havok Motor any good, wow they're only $17.50 and the Havok says it needs nothing and comes with motor leads. I wouldn't mind spending more but I was just wondering if they are any good at that price, why so cheap. Thanks a lot, Mike.
  17. tippietoejoe

tippietoejoe New Member

Hi all whats going on?.....here is alittle help for you Mike....When I first got my pede I bought all kinds of motors testing them out...before I went "Brushless" I had a novak esc (SR), and a 9 turn speed gems....I ran a 8 nimh 3000 cells....I also changed out the gears to 12/90....now with this setup I could dust my bestfriends Tmaxx....here is some advice if you just want to jump and have fun in the yard?....well the stock esc can handle 17 turns....go with that and change the gears until you like what it does....the brushless?....47mph with Tmaxx wheels on it....well mike have fun...cause it is a cool truck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.