I am interested to initiate my hobby in the field of RC. There is a RC Boat

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by yamanoor sairam, Apr 18, 2007.

1. yamanoor sairam

yamanoor sairam New Member

coming up in Sept. Any reference? I searched online. Not too many good tutorials. Please provide me some tips which are basic for an electric or gas RC boat.
  2. Brand X

Brand X New Member

Most people would say hydroplanes are the best hull to use for boating. Plastic hulls are something you will want to avoid mainly for electric because they are so heavy and require alot of torque to get on the plane of the water.Fiber glass and balsa coated fiberglass are the way to go.Electric boats work great with direct drive system as is maximizes the speed and reduceds the amount of wasted enegery in a geared system. Putting whats refered to as a stuffing tube can be very rewarding as it will maximize the potential of the motor. Alot of people will argue that using 3 vs. 2 finned propellers make a difference, but more important is the angle of the prop and drive shaft. Those two will make more difference in your boat that most all others combined.Before deciding prop and drive shaft placement and angles, you need to know your cog or "centre of gravity". With gas or electric boats you want your hardware to be best layed out so that the cog is nearly perfect, (slightly aft is good). If you dont have a boat that has a good cog then it won't get on the plane of the water very well making it slow and hard to control.Water cooling is extremely important be it electric or gas. A good idea with boats is to create what i'd call a "thermostat" for the cooling system. Just like in a car you don't want the water going through the system so fast that it doesn't have a chance to remove heat. What I've done is take a small piece of the 5/32 brass tubing and a small piece of 1/8" tubing and ca the smaller tube inside the larger one. I cut the exit fuel tubing about half way down it's length and install the little thermostat in. Restricting the water flow this way gives the water a bit more time in the system to remove heat. This seems to work pretty well in most boating applications.A good idea is to waterproof your electronics, there is a sray on rubber you can purchase that will literally waterproof servo's bec's, receivers etc. Many would use a compartment but I like to lose as much weight as possible for max speed.Consider size of boat for the motor you want to use, or vise versa. 26-35" I'd use a .12 gas or 380-540 elec.32-36" I'd use a .15 gas or 600 elec.37-42" I'd use a .18 gas or 750 or motor that likes more than 80 ampsLast thing I can think of is Make sure theres no water leaks!! I use CA glue cauking or even hot glue gun. Anything that gets the job done as long as theres no leaks. Even if your electronics are waterproofed water in the boat will effect it's performance.