i am ineed of some free N-Scale things from generous ppl, i am only 12 yrs old

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by nscaletrainkid, Jun 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nscaletrainkid

nscaletrainkid New Member

nscaletrainkid, A parent or guardian must mail a signed permission form to the Gauge before a user under the age of 13 can complete the registration, please refrain from making any further posts.

From reading your other posts you were aware of this fact when registering but decided to ignore it.

Please contact me at info@the-gauge.com if you wish to continue the registration process.

Dave Hagan
  2. belg

belg Member

I think that you should get yourself a part time job now that's summer time and you'll be able to add to your own collection.I think that most of us work hard for our stuff so unless it was broken or unuseable why would we get rid of it.
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

You have a lot to learn. Fortunately, you are only 12 (or 13) years old and have a lot of time left to do it. If you are indeed as young as you say you are, then I would suggest you find a way to get what you want in life by working, no begging. We would be doing you a disservice by giving you what you ask for. If this is some sort of joke and you are older than you pretend to be, then I suggest you go elsewhere because no one here is laughing.

4. Keith 55

Keith 55 New Member

Tell you what-I'll give you some good free stuff (even though I and most others started with only the quality we could afford).
    Then all you have to do is come down to Texas and cut my grass for the rest of the season (until October)-once a week, or wash my truck twenty times, or house-sit while I'm on vacation and feed my pets, or babysit my kids, or any of the other things I did at your age to make $$$. I grew up in NY State and those jobs were easy to get then. Is it different now?
    Please don't think model railroaders are jerks, we want as many kids to join the hobby as possible, but GOOD locos and rolling stock are too expensive to give away to someone who doesn't have the patience to do things the right way. This is a fun hobby but it takes hard work to get good results.
    Good luck and have fun!! Keith 55
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

My most recent locomotive cost 21 hours of work at my current rate of pay, minus taxes. When I started this hobby, I was 12 as well. The way I got the basic necessary things to enjoy this hobby (track, loco, cars) was by being creative with everyday things to strech my limited budget. Wooden coffee stirrers and match sticks were scale lumber. Dyed sawdust and sifted dirt became ground cover. I even used kitty litter (yikes) for my ballast. My home state, as well as New York state are both covered with lichen, free for the taking. If you've been thru the forums, you've seen amazing things done with cereal boxes. In this way, your limited income becomes a springboard for creativity you never knew you had to make the hobby a richer one than you'd ever imagine.
  6. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

You can have...

And, as the commercials say- It's FREE, FREE, FREE...Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

When I was 12 I shined shoes in Philadelphia. I was "the best". I worked my way from the Wissahickon Station (Reading Lines) and hit every bar on the way back to my home. $.25 a shine. I was often given a $1.00.

I didn't know it then but, often- the men who's shoes I shined were being kind- kind to a kid trying to earn a buck and their generosity paid off. I bought my first drum set with "shoe shine" money (much to the suprise of muh folks- and I love them dearly for putting uP with my musical endeavors over the years).

Then I got a job at 13- dealing hot dogs in a Bingo hall, where once again- I'd get tips for "running" dogs (with and without saurekraut) and sodas or coffee out to the rows of players. My best night was $89.00

A "by the way"- I still own the shoe shine kit I made my dad buy me when I told him "that's" what I was gonna do.

Thanks for the post- I think today I am going to my folks house and shine my dad's shoes, not for a buck- but because I love him so much and he needs the best shine on his shoes. And, I am THE BEST!

P.S. I am now this many years old- |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Trainkid, I don't mean to sound like I'm a grouchy old man but let me tell you something that's gonna help you the rest of your life...

First of all anything that you want to enjoy is more enjoyable when you work for it.

Secondly, Don't expect anyone to hand you the world on a silver platter because that isn't gonna happen.

Now if you have some severe mental or physical limitations that would keep you from pulling your own weight then you have my most sincere sympathy, but just because you're 12 years old isn't a reason to impose on the generosity of others.

There's a lot of good folks here on this board and we would welcome you even at the age of 12 provided you play by the rules and get the needed permissions to be here...that would be your first step towards growing up just a little bit.
  8. scoobyloven

scoobyloven Member

i remember when i was 12 my dad had a layout in the basement and i wasn't allowed no where near it if i didn't do my house work
    i do the same thing with my 8 year old and that gets under his skin. he would clean his room take the dog out and ect.the last time i was in the hobby shop he wanted a new loco for his layout in ho scale i looked at it and it was 90.00 i told him he has to work it off cleaning all the track on my layout that he hate to do wich is 24 x 32 with a new add on of 24 x 20 he looked at me and said i hate to clean all that track their is to much and you have cars every where i told him if you want this loco you work for it well he did it. now if a 8 year old can find a way to get that new loco or what ever for his layout i know a 12 year old can i been here on this form for awhile now and it is hard on me to get what i want for my layout i have a 8 year old a 19 month old and a 4 month old and he dose alot to help me out with his dissabled brother and he knows things you want real bad will come to the ones who will work for them
  9. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Going to have to chime in on this one. I have two boys, one 12 and one 14. Both of them know that whatever they need for the basic necessities, we will gladly provide. Entertainment comes at a price though. Game boys and hobby stuff must be earned. We have several methods of earning the item of desire. In other words, effort expended before item received makes the item worth more.

I too, as a young man and earlier worked for extra money to buy things. Don't know how many lawns I raked and mowed before I could go out and legally get a job that paid taxes and social security. Even in high school, I sold art work and painted backdrops on layouts as a way of earning money.

So have some pride in yourself and don't beg. Also, don't be afraid to make some of the things you need for your layout. I was 13 when I wanted some passenger cars for my steam engine. I built two passenger cars out of cardboard and put the bodies on a couple of flat cars. They weren't contest winners by any means, but they looked good in my eye and I was proud of them. I ran those for years behind my Lionel General steam engine, even though I could have bought the real article later on.

Pride young man, pride is what it is all about.

Greg Elems
    45 and still building.
  10. nscaletrainkid

nscaletrainkid New Member

i have the kind of parents that eve if you work, you dont get anything for it.

REMOVED See Above

Dave Hagan

11. Strthoky

Strthoky Member

I just don't understand:(

I was 10 1/2 years old when I "Truth enhanced" to the newspaper company tellin them I was 11 and wanted a paper route.I worked 4 routes that summer doing my best and trying to earn every extra dollar from tips that I could... this wasn't because I wanted a toy... it was because my family needed my help to eat.

I learned alot that summer... when I won a new color t.v. from the newspaper company for having the most new customers I was the happiest person in the world. From that point on I found a way to make money for myself.

I collected and turned in pop bottles for their deposit, went garbage picking for aluminum and turned it into the recyclers for cash, mowed lawns, shoveled snow, weeded peoples flower beds... etc etc...

Personally I think you should make every attempt possible to get a job, earn it your self. I am not trying to be mean but I know I would feel guilty if I free loaded. where there is a will there is a way.... I think you are trying to take the easy way out and pan handle for a hand out
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.