I actually AM working on this!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Mar 21, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

2. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Wooot! X-ray Delta One
  3. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

looks more like a roadblock designed to stop Imperial Star Destroyers from leaving the shipyards :p
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

"Open the pod bay doors please, HAL."

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave..."
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Spurred on by the sad death of Arthur C Clarke last week, I decided I would get my backside in gear and have a go at this ship. I know there is another one in the works, but it's something I wanted to do anyway, and I reckon there is room in the works for more than one version of this!

Anyway...back to the Discovery!

The first picture I posted is the completed, textured and greebled central spine section. There are 2 layers of flat laid on greebling to give depth to the pods.

Next up, is the engine module.

Again, this will get some greebling to texture it up.

Let me say at this point... I LOVE LIGHTWAVE! It is such a useful tool when it comes to work like this. Take, for example, the greebling. Lightwave has a tool called 'stencil' that will allow you to cut a polgon out of another one. Copy that cutout, and you have the greeble as a seperate piece. Go back to the original, and replace the texture on the cutout piece, and turn it plain white. You now have a seperate piece with a texture on it....amd the original piece with a white area that exactly matches the greeble as a reference point to stick it on later.

You can also use it to mark out areas where you want overlaying layers. I wanted to thicken up the sections n the rear of the engines...so I copied a chunk of tube, and made it massive. This, when unwrapped, will wrap around the engine tube a couple of times to thicken it up. I then used the stencil tool, set with my plain white material, to slice the engine tubes to create white areas to show where they should glue. Quick...accurate...and simple!

The structure will be reinforced with some internal bulkheads, with additional tubes of rolled up A4running down the spines of the main ship and the engine tubes. This should give rigidity. If it doesn't, then some wooden dowels will be sourced to go through the centre. I want to be able to suspend her when she is done, and this is a spindly ship.

More to come soon!
  6. Gearz

Gearz Member

LIGHTWAVE ~ greebling tool ~ droooollll !.. I wish there was a free / light version. [Sniff].

Excellent subject choice! Another great design that's been sadly neglected. :thumb:
  7. jagolden

jagolden Guest

Do it!

I'd like to see a nice model of this. Looking good.
    I can't do 3D - it amazes me the folks that can work with it.
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Soon as I get the engine area completed in 3D, I will unfold that and do a test build. I need to brace it internally first, and allow for strong connection of the 'sticking out' bits! Feeling happy with it so far!

Jagolden ... 3D work is something that takes practice. I have been doing this for a while, and went through a lot of heartache to learn how. ANYBODY can do 3D work.... it's just a question of practice, more practice.... and then some more! I am just happy I stumbled across Pepakura and was able to turn the things I had on the PC into things that were sitting on the table in front of the PC!
  9. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Beautiful 3D work! Great choice and subject...
  10. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Looking Great!!! Hope this turns into a model offering because i want to do a approx., 6' version, to go with the 6' version of the Valley Forge i'm doing...in real slow motion!
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

If you want to do this at that large a scale, this ought to be quite a good base to work from. Add a few mode greebles, and roughly double the size.

Progress so far has been steady:

Engine area has been unfolded and a framework designed to sit inside. It is not all that big a lump of ship, but I needed to make sure there was a solid anchor for the spine of the ship. That has also been unfolded, and the test build is ready to start.

Next, I will unfold the spine of the ship, followed by the pods along it.

I still need to finish the mesh for the front sphere, but I am not bothered too much by that...it's nowhere near as complex as the bits I have done!
  12. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Amazing!!! :eek: The number of details it is incredible. It will be a spectacular model!!!:eek:
  13. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

Nice work so far.

ARMORMAN Guest

Looks good, dude.
  15. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

16. Nosports

Nosports Member

How about providing two Versions ????

On without the greebls and additional pages with the greebls ?
    Thous every builder can choose if he wants build crazy or insane
  17. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

So far so good... built most of the spine, and have started on the engine area. Some minor trimming was needed of the interior boxing to make it fit into the outer shell, but it is looking good.

Had a major incident with the spine when one of the strengthening paper tubes got stuck half way in. I ended up with a 'gap' inside the structure which made it very weak there. I had to cut out the middle section, fill the gap, and wrap a new piece around to hide it. Messy...but it was that or start again!

Some photos will follow in due course!
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Dude! this is going to be so cool! Thanks for working on this!:thumb: Looks like you're really on target with this!
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Completed the front section of the engine area, with the first connection area wher ethe spine meets the rear. There will be a thick tube of rolled up paper running back through the engine supprt frames to anchor the spine. Seems to give me enough strength for now.

Need to make the rest of the engine area ... it is in 3 distinct sections, each with a frame and a cover. They need to be made as seperate pieces, and then joined together once covered. The frames need a bit of trimming to fit well, but once trimmed, it feels pretty solid!

I might also make a stand for the model before release ... might prevent collapse of the spine of hte ship!

Will post some pics when I get in from work.
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Just a thought, but what about the obelisk and Hal being part of the stand?