hydrocal problem

railnut

Apr 27, 2007
got some hydrocal last weekend in a sealed bag, went to use it today and can not get it to solitify, stays watery. Mixed it 50/50 and 25/75 and still not luck. Have used it many times in the past and no problems but today is a different story... Contacted the hobby shop owner where I purchased it and he says it is nothing wrong with it ?? Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks Ron..

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
got some hydrocal last weekend in a sealed bag, went to use it today and can not get it to solitify, stays watery. Mixed it 50/50 and 25/75 and still not luck. Have used it many times in the past and no problems but today is a different story... Contacted the hobby shop owner where I purchased it and he says it is nothing wrong with it ?? Any suggestions would be appreciated..thanks Ron..
Yes, I suggest you take the bag back to the shop and ask the owner to show you that's the case. If it's good, he should be able to make it work right. If it's bad, he owes you an apology and a new bag of hydrocal.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I am with Don on this one-
But one test is to feel the powered hydrocal, it should feel like corn starch- not like corn meal. If it has absorbed any water (mostiture) it will feel like corn meal or like granulated sugar. If it has, it will not setup.
Take it back and have the LHS show you how it is done.
Take some H2O with you- have them mix up a small batch. Then do some looking around while it sets up. No set up!- you should get a new bag at N/C.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Weird. I can't recall off the top of my head if the hydration reaction is exothermic or not...my resin's setting is...and it needs a little activation energy. So, maybe you should try warming the water before mixing it (I doubt this having used hydrocal many times for over a decade without a problem).

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I'm sorry I can't help Railnut, because my problem with hydrocal is exactly the opposite of yours: it sets ... too fast.
Last week I had to throw away several rocks in one batch of casted rocks because it hardens almost before I could fill the mold completely. I was very upset because I had measured the quantities of water and hydrocal by weight ( as suggested by the manufacturer ) and used exactly the hydrocal to water ratio suggested by the manufacturer. The hydrocal box has been opened for several months and was "resealed" using masking tape.

Maybe we could swap our boxes of hydrocal :)

Jacques

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I'm sorry I can't help Railnut, because my problem with hydrocal is exactly the opposite of yours: it sets ... too fast.
Last week I had to throw away several rocks in one batch of casted rocks because it hardens almost before I could fill the mold completely. I was very upset because I had measured the quantities of water and hydrocal by weight ( as suggested by the manufacturer ) and used exactly the hydrocal to water ratio suggested by the manufacturer. The hydrocal box has been opened for several months and was "resealed" using masking tape.

Maybe we could swap our boxes of hydrocal :)

Jacques

Try putting in a few ice cubes on you next try- it will slow the set time.:thumb: