Hump Day; What Time Is It on Your RR?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

We are still dodging rain storms around here last night. We even had at least one tornado touch down in southern Chester County about 20 miles west of us. There were reports of funnel clouds all around us. Football practice came to halt when after the kids had finished their stretches and were beginning their sprints the skies opened up. With in five minutes the filed was literally under several inches of water.

Last night I added ground turf around the turnout near the cement distributor. I also began adding trees, foliage, fine leaf foliage, and clump foliage to the abandoned road.

What era do you model?

For me my primary focus is the late transition era. That way I can have some steam and first generation diesels on the layout. Also I love 40’ boxcars and two-bay hoppers and this means I have them. My primary period would extend from the late 40’s into the mid 50’s. There are times, however, where I want to run trains that I grew up with. I can then time warp into the late 60’s, 70’s, and/or 80’s as I have equipment that will fit this era. I can then run my 54’ covered grain hoppers.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Talking about transitional eras, mine is one too. Sometime between the 1800's and tomorrow.:D Seriously, I model today simply because I don't have to worry about not being correct. Anything I do for today has to be correct, at lease as far as my definition of what "today" is.:rolleyes: I can have a building built in the 1800's along side a modern gas station. I can put a vintage car on the street alongside a Hummer or an old steamer pulling a tourist passenger train or a diesel with the current BNSF logo pulling a bunch of enclosed auto carriers. All of these thing can exist in today's world.

To paraphrase the song, "time means nothing to me my friend"....:wave::wave:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I was initially "steam only", but have since broadened my horizons to allow some internal combustion on the layout... cars & trucks ;) and a doodlebug :thumb:. So that puts me in the 1920s and 1930s.

Andrew

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
coachsig said:
Tom,
You mentioned football practice....could there possibly be another football coach/MRR?

Coachsig

I coached last year. This year I am filling in on as needed basis. Work and some other things are keeping me from doing full time this year.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I'm runnin' early 60's because my favorite units are the early diesels like GP9's 'n 'RS3's & F's. Reason 2 m'dad worked on the section here for 26 years and I got to love the smell of grease and creosote
What I find a bit funny is that I have to do a lot of research because I don't remember a lot of the details that I think would make for a groovy layout.My friends and I spent hours hanging around the station/frieght shed ,we walked miles of track (quickest way)and put many dollars worth of pennies on the track(and never caused one wreck)
We even burned ties in the furnace(mother would not let anyone tend the fire, that was her domain)
guess I kinda wandered off a bit

C

Catt

Darn I missed this one Tom,guess it's time to slow down and taste the coffee.:D

Anyway to answer the question.

The Grande Valley has always been a modern day railroad even back in 1978 when the motive power was two ex ICG Alcos.I for one prefer to model what i see and feel everyday. Even the GVR narrowgauge is set in current times (or will be if I ever get time to build it/them).

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I didn't see this one either:rolleyes: :eek:ops:

If you stand back and squint really hard, 1975-79 would fairly stand out for the most part. I run steam as excursion extras, my narrow gauge as a soon to be defunct tourist trap. My club trappings find me putting together period trains, from a late 90s CSX pig train to a 40s Espee or UP mixed consist to a 50s crack passenger train, the ACLs "Orange Blossom Special".

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I model mid-seventies to early nineties on the ATSF. I vary my rolling stock to accomodate whatever locos I want to run that day. Intermodal with Dash-9's, boxcars with GP38-2's. Anything goes with SD40-2's.