Humongous Loft Space

rockislandmike

I saw a show on the weekend with this loft that was 6,000 square feet. I started marveling about this to my wife, imagining if I had a track around the entire perimeter of the space.

Just did some calculations. At a scale 55 mph, and assuming a totally square space (which it wasn't of course, but it makes it more simplistic), it would take almost over five and a half minutes before a train reappeared in the same location.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Drew1125

Imagine the number of turnouts...Imagine soldering all those rail joiners... Imagine trying to find that bad connection...Imagine keeping the track clean...
"Ohhhhhh"
Sorry to rain on your parade, but past experience forces me to point that out to you. :)
Now if you have a 10 or 12 man crew, it might not be that bad!
BTW, Michael, it's good to see you back again!

BDC

Just did some calculations. At a scale 55 mph, and assuming a totally square space (which it wasn't of course, but it makes it more simplistic), it would take almost over five and a half minutes before a train reappeared in the same location.

Oh yeah? Well, I've got a Bachmann locomotive that could travel that layout in 40 seconds flat. You'd just need to super-elevate the curves to about 90 degrees.:p

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
BDC,
I have an old Athearn "High-F" drive F7 that could give that Bachmann a run for its money. When Mike gets that layout built, lets race.
Pete

Drew1125

I remember one of my early attempts at HO, with the off-brand train set, & power pack, & those 50-60mph switching moves! :D
Wheeee!

BDC

I'll admit to having knocked truck off of cars performing some of that high-speed switching. Casey Jones, move over!

Pete - You're on! Just let me turn my striped railroad hat around backwards and put on some fingerless racing gloves that the schoolbus drivers wear and we'll turn some diesel into noise!

kf4jqd

Fast Trains

Sounds like we have alot of speed demonds on here!:D Same here. When I was a kid, I had both a Lionel and Tyco. The Lionel liked to jump the tracks at full throttle. Now lets talk about that little Tyco. The faster it went. The happier the engine was!:D

Andy

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Rockislandmike,
Looks like you're going to have to buy that loft and build that layout, BDC has thrown down the fingerless gauntlet, and we need to race !!
I wonder if the Athearn hustler might be faster........
Pete