Humber Valley & Simcoe Galloping Goose #1 (On30)

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Humber Valley & Simcoe On30 model railroading.

Humber Valley & Simcoe Galloping Goose #1(Large Image)

HV&S.jpg

This is a photo taken by Chris Abbott of my Toyota RAV/4 Galloping Goose Cube Van. It was taken at the February 22 SORBB Meet (Southern Ontario Rust Belt Builder's Guild).

At the first SORBB Meet, I was talking about making modern NG equipment. I like early steam and transition era railroading as much as the next guy, but I feel like this has been done to death. The bonus is that if it hasn't been done before, there are no rivets to count.

I do, however, like Galloping Geese and my thoughts on the subject of modern Galloping Geese are as follows:

It was suggested that a Lincoln Navigator or Ford Explorer be used. This is fine as far as it goes, but these are luxury automobiles. Not the sort of thing you would find on a shoe string budget NG railroad.

For Articulated Geese, I would choose Ford F150 trucks and vans, or other 1/2 ton trucks like a GMC Suburban for the motive power. Box Cars, or passenger cars would be suitable, but I was thinking that a fifth wheel trailer would be just as good, if not better behind a pickup truck. If I decided to haul trains behind this type of motive power, then I would consider something in the class of the Ford F450/F550 diesel or other 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

For smaller Geese, I think that more compact trucks and vans are appropriate. Ford Ranger, Chevy S10 or perhaps Toyota Tacoma comes to mind. Anything in the 1/4 Ton range. For Non-articulated Geese, you can go even smaller with the motive power.

Relative HP is another consideration. The larger trucks have several-hundred-horse-power under their hoods. When you look at on-road use for these vehicles, that much power is needed. A regular asphalt roadway may consist of upwards of 40% grades. On rails, however, you are facing much gentler slopes to be sure. I did a little research, and I found that the RGS Galloping Geese were running with only about 30 - 60 hp. I also read recently that Class 1railroads only required 1 or 2 hp per ton on level track. It takes a lot less power to move the same load on steel rails with free rolling trucks than rubber tires on bumpy hilly asphalt.

The Toyota RAV/4 has 120 bhp under the hood which is plenty of power for a small M of W truck. The Lincoln Navigator has almost twice the power of 230 bhp, which seems like overkill by comparison.

This brings me to the choice of the Toyota RAV/4 Galloping Goose. This first reason was cost and availability. I picked up the die cast model at the dollar store across the street from my house. ;) Seriously though, it's a neat little car and it fits right in on a modern NG railroad. There is no indication of what make or model the car is, but after looking around, it seems to closely resemble the Toyota RAV/4 2-door short wheel base car. I don't know the scale either, but it looks O scale to me. I started out wanting to make it into a speeder or high-railer, but I couldn't find a decent mechanism for it that would fit. I'm sure that there are plenty available, but none that were in my price range. (Free.) :D

I found an old Play Art HO/OO 0-4-0 mechanism in a box that a friend had given me. Part of the chassis was broken and so was the shell. The motor seems to run fine, and with some imagination and styrene I went to work. It has a can motor and a single worm gear to axle gear drive. Perhaps at a later date the motor will be upgraded with the addition of more gearing and a flywheel will be added for better operation. But for the time being, I will be happy if it runs at all.

I decided on a fibreglass cube van configuration. The front rides on an HO 33" Bettendorf freight truck and the rear is a single axle with O scale ~ 30" wheels. I want to modify the rear wheels to disguise that they came from a steam engine. I may end up hiding the rear wheels behind outside frame springs and brake shoes as well as adding sanding hoses. The box represents a scale 18' fibreglass cube 7 ½' tall by 7 ¾' wide with a roll up rear door.

To complete this model:

- Add pilot/plow, headlights and coupler to front.
- Foot boards and grab irons on sides.
- Air tanks and fuel tanks under cube along with brake lines and other hoses.
- Marker lights and reflectors to cube.
- Rear bumper with trailer hitches and coupler.
- Various detail parts like ladders, chains and tools on sides and roof.
- Driver and perhaps a passenger.
- Paint, decals and other lettering.
- Various other detail parts as they come to mind.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Link?

Hi Ron,

Interesting history of the project. I am in the middle of building a goose of sorts myself, although more along the "classic" lines than yours.

Unfortunately, I could not get the link to your pictures to work.

Please advise.

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
At the first SORBB Meet, I was talking about making modern NG equipment. I like early steam and transition era railroading as much as the next guy, but I feel like this has been done to death. The bonus is that if it hasn't been done before, there are no rivets to count.

I guess I should go ahead with my HOn3 20' container cars. The shipyard's subsidiary, standard gauge, SM & CH, has BL20-2s, so I suppose the shipyard's industrial narrow gauge should be able to handle certain "modern conveniences". 20' containers are far more easily transshipped than boxcar loads of product, both coming and going.

Oh, and Ron,,, as long as you weld everything....I won't be able to count the rivets.................just the weld lines!!!:D :D :D :D :D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
BL20-2's?!?!?!?

HV&S.jpg

Originally posted by 60103
Mr Goat:
If you build one using a pickup truck with a fifth wheel, you could haul road railers with it without the special coupling vehicle.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

Originally posted by sumpter250

I guess I should go ahead with my HOn3 20' container cars. The shipyard's subsidiary, standard gauge, SM & CH, has BL20-2s, so I suppose the shipyard's industrial narrow gauge should be able to handle certain "modern conveniences". 20' containers are far more easily transshipped than boxcar loads of product, both coming and going.

Oh, and Ron,,, as long as you weld everything....I won't be able to count the rivets.................just the weld lines!!!:D :D :D :D :D

I was thinking that I would build some 20' and 30' containers to go along with the road-railers.

Wow!!!

You got BL20-2's?!

Now those I'd like to see.....

Welded and/or fibre glass construction....

Let's hear it for rivetless rolling stock and locomotives! :D :D :D

boppa

Jul 21, 2002
australia
au.geocities.com
not exactly galloping geese-but locally the sra is using suziki 4x4,s-with really WIDE wheels(to actually reach the rails !!),toyota landcruisers and isusu 4 ton trucks for maintence work
all fitted with drop down guide wheels front and rear
hmm wonder if a small n motor could be crammed into a landcruiser shell????

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Re: BL20-2's?!?!?!?

Originally posted by TinGoat

You got BL20-2's?!

Now those I'd like to see.....

And just for the record, the only three ever 'built' by EMD, have been working their littlle butts off on the Mackenzie Northern Railway, for the last four years. They are now re-numbered 2120, 2121 and 2122. I even have an as built photo of one or two of them!!

Drew

(email me for more info and pictures)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Drew,
I'd heard that they were "up north". I used photos of the units in demo paint scheme to do my models. They are far more accurate than the MR article's versions, because of the research that went into building them.
Are there any photos of the Mackenzie Northern units?
Pete

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
This is why I don't read Model Railroader anymore. There use to be a day, long, long ago when you could have an article just like this one and not be thought of as nuts. Now it prints about a hobby of acquisition and not of creativity. Thanks for a breath of fresh air. A great write up...now, whatemIgonna make my goose from?...ah, that Johnny Lightning step van looks like a promisin' candidate....