Hull Plating on Japanese Warships

JohnMGD

Sep 26, 2005
Hello,

I have a question about Hull plating on Japanese warship from the early 1920's up to wars end.
Does anybody know something about it, how was the plating aranged and fit to the frames ?? were the steelplates placed "blunt" against each other or overlapped and then riveted??? was there a standard size for those steelplates?? I like to know this because on my next Cardmodel I like to make it right, I'm thinking on building the NAGATO, TONE or a scracthbuild YUBARI.

Hope someone can shine a light on this. Their must be a lot on this topic out there, but only in Japanese !!!

Greetings

John.

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Dear John,

I will stick my neck out, but confess I really only know a very little about British ship construction.

I am sure Japanese shipyards followed standard and trusted practice of the day, comprising riveted overlapping plates (joggled?) on un-armoured areas. The armour plate plate would be more flush and applied directly to the ship's frames.

If Royal Navy practice was followed then later re-buildings could well have employed welding - say mid 30s on on the super structure.

I would invest in an appropriate Anatomy of the Ship volume. I did see an article on super detailing the IJN Yamato in the Winter 2004 Journal Of Nautical Research. This was not card but was super detailed. Nautical Research Guild Home Page

You must be considering a really large scale project if you are researching the finicky detail of construction, thinks... SD14...

Best of luck

D

YuG

Jun 22, 2007
blogs.yahoo.co.jp
Reading your inquiry I get a little bit interested in the construction of Japanese ships as a Japanese and found out relating article in the Japanese written Wikipedia.
According to the article, in 1935 there was a marine disaster occured 250 miles off Japanese coast in Pacific Ocean. There No.4 Fleet encountered Tayphoon with the lowest barometric pressure of 960mbar and the maximum wind speed of 34.5m/s that caused 20m height wave(piramidal wave).
This Tayphoon damaged 19 ships out of 41. Two of Fubuki type destroyer's hull was cut.
After the accident, court of inquiry was held and they concluded the primary cause was attributable to lack of welding strength. Then Japan employed rivett construction thereafter again though they employed welding since around early or middle of 1910s.

Also there was a comment that the Yamato was constructed using rivett but electric welding was employed too.

Below URL is the picture of Fuso colored by computer. I hope this would be of your help.
http://www.geocities.jp/tokugawa_navy/C-fusou.jpg