Hull framework elements

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by MikeBer, Apr 13, 2008.

1. MikeBer

MikeBer Member

I have purchased the Modelik COURBET French battleship and will start building in the next few weeks. As a newbie to card modelling, I was wondering if anyone has used 1mm balsa sheet for hull framework elements instead of laminating to card?
    Is this a feasible idea?
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

hmmm, its a good question. I would be hesitant given the grain in the balsa - I think it snaps kinda easy. if you laminate even a piece of palin old paper to it though it might prevent that! it would most liekly be easier to cut than 1mm card.... give it a try (with a scanned part for safety) and let us know!
  3. David H

David H Member

I came to card modelling via-balsa free flight.

One issue I had with balsa was it is a very variable material. No matter how careful I was in selecting sheet I found that all but the most expensive indoor materials had hard or soft edges.

Try looking through your household and / or office recycling box for different types of card. I have often found perfect materials for formers lurking there!

The card backing for shirts is a good option, 1mm thick but with an open structure that is easy to cut. The backs of note pads and jotters is another fine source.

Experience has taught me that I have to select to an accuracy of considerably less than 0.5mm! The odd 0.1mm here and there is OK but not much thicker or thinner or trouble follows close behind. In short get some callipers to assist in scavenging.

(I sound like some sort recycling nut, suppose I am!)

4. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

It's funny you should mention that... Today I am going to go out and price some balsa as I'm becoming less and less satisfied with the mess I'm making of my Daring hull. I'm thinking if I start with a good sturdy balsa hull, the cardstock structure above won't warp (my cardstock hull has started to twist a little).

This is not to say a perfect Hull can't be achieved in card, just not by me. :D

If the balsa is affordable I'll update my thread and let you know the results.

David: As far as recycling goes, I've just started working for a large retail outlet that see's hundreds of pallets of stock come and go on a daily basis, I'm starting to notice a lot of VERY decent cardstock used to protect the stock in transit and am in the process of starting a collection.
  5. MikeBer

MikeBer Member

Hi Jaffro,
    I checked out 1mm balsa today and boy is it fragile! I am going to stick with card stock but am going to notch out the frames where they meet the centre vertical keel piece and put a wood stringer in each side of the keel piece to keep it straight lengthwise. I will be starting the build hopefully this week and will post pics.
  6. sakrison

sakrison Member

I know it's been done--I remember seeing a thread here or on a previous forum about balsa formers for hulls. Personally, I'm sticking with heavy (1-2mm) card (sometimes called "paper board"). Cut, assembled and sealed with dullcoat spray, it should be a lot stronger and more stable than most balsa.
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Mike, I checked out some 1mm balsa myself, the day I replied to your post and you're right, it's flimsy... way too flimsy.

the 1.5mm to 2.5mm stuff didn't seem too bad, but it's really not a huge improvement on what can be achieved with cardstock. I've decided to stick with the cardstock and start scrounging from work for whatever I can get my hands on.

If I can't find the right stuff, it's still cheaper to buy sheets of heavy cardstock than a decent strength/thickness of balsa so I think i'll just stick with "the good stuff".
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member