Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by CardStalker, Mar 1, 2008.
This is a very detailed model indeed.
I'm glad you have the patience for this stuff I couldn't do it!!
Keep those pics coming!!!!
Great stuff!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Looks good so far I've been building this myself, I've finished the interior and have been working on the exterior. Just a word of warning the parts for the that are on the bottom of the interior assembly that form the legs are missing from the files I emailed the webmaster and did finaly get an answer back but by this time I had already created my own parts also the panel assembly that holds the star cameras is misnumbered. Regarding the yellow handrails I went outside the box and decided to use 20 gauge brass beading wire I'm using a pin vise and a small bit to make the holes. All in all this has been a great model to build but some steps really require you to think before you do them.
slee2099, thank you. Yes I saw that parts 70-73 were missing. Was going to email ton about that. Did you recieve the missing parts? My best to you.
i'm building the hubble reduced to 1/96 for fitting with my other space items.
I thought about building the handrails 3d but in this scale i would have knotted my fingers.:mrgreen: As you can see, that i've done the interior with the mainmirror too.
PS: Wish you the best for your shoulder. I know the pain because of having problems with my shoulder too. As a therapist i could only say: be careful with a surgery, because many people have more problems after it for a long time (maybe 12-16 weeks).
Nice build and very informative. The extras look very good.
I did get an answer from the webmaster who said they could send me the parts but it took so long for them to respond I figured out the size from the photos and created my own. If you know how to cobtact Ton you'll probably get a faster response. Also one more tip when you build the cage as I refer to it and you don't feel like coloring in the back, go to a crafts store and pick up black scrap booking paper, it's non fading and gives it a nice look I also used it on some of the exterior assembly's that are black on the inside like the upper tube that surrounds the cage. I'd love to post photo's of mine but it takes forever on dial up.
Josef, your build looks great. Thanks for sharing. As for the shoulder, I hear you, going to play that one by ear as I go. Read up on what they might do and will be keeping things in mind when they tell me what they want to do. I have no problem asking and telling them what I want done.
Paul thanks for the nice comments, always nice to hear from you, thank you.
slee2099, again thanks for the heads up. I have some things in mind for the cage, we’ll see how they work out as I go. Wish you had better connection to the internet, would love to see pic’s of your build.
Part 50 Mirror
Hello all. Jumping ahead a little bit here. The mirror is one area I have been toying with in my head and playing around with. Ton suggests using either Aluminum Foil or Silver Mylar for part 50 which is the mirror area. I thought I would try something different and I’ll show you what I came up with. Would very much like everyone’s opinion on how it turned out. First I sprayed the part with a few coats of clear. Letting each coat dry before applying the next. As you can see you get a wavy surface to the part.
Next I sanded the surface with fine sand paper just enough to remove most of the high spots. If you have ever panted a car with base coat clear coat, then you know what I am doing. The clear coat is never smooth, you have to sand it down with very fine sand paper and use a polishing compound to make it shine. Then I put another coat on top of that, and sanded it again.
Then I sprayed one more coat of clear on. As you can hopefully see the clear coat is getting smoother. This will be the base surface for what I’m going to do. Next I cut out the form.
This is what I’m going to use on the mirror. It is a metallic Chrome paint that you can get at most Auto Parts stores. The second pic is an old trick when using metallic paints. They tend to mix up better when they are wormed up, so I filled a container with hot tap water. Don’t use anything hotter then you get from the sink as you could cause an explosion. Hot tap water is just the right temperature. Let the can sit in the hot water for 5-10 minutes, and then shake well. Leave in the water till when you’re ready to apply. Wipe off the water then shake again and spray a test spot on a separate piece of paper to make sure it comes out evenly. Now spray the part but don’t put too much on as it goes on thick. Let dry for a few minutes and apply one more light coat.
The next pic’s are different views of the finished mirror. Tell me what you think of how it turned out.
jawdrop awesome, looks like a real mirror :inw::inw::inw::goldcup:
Looks fantastic!!! - just like the rest of the model!!!
Amazing thread and a fantastic build. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
I build the model simultaniously to yours so I can use your good ideas and extras. Thank you very much.
The mirror is phantastic. I used a similar chrome paint for Leo Cherkashyns Vostoc and Woshod capsule . It gives a good metal effect.
Wait...let me get my sunglasses out, that's blinding. :mrgreen:
this is awesome!!! i wish i had the talent to do that to my hubblewall1 great work!:thumb:
It's a cd/dvd. Looks good.
Gee, thanks Paul, you gave it away, lol. Thank you all for your comments; it took me a few try’s to get it right. One thing I forgot to mention, the metallic chrome paint is not to stable, so you can’t spray it with clear afterwards because it will just turn dark gray, and you can’t wipe it or touch it with your fingers as the metallic parts go to the top and will wipe off. So just put it aside till time to add it to the model and try and not touch it.
Separate names with a comma.