HPI RS4-3 Questions?? Belts vs Shaft

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by Jag, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jag

Jag New Member

I'm sorta thinking bout buying one. Want to know about shaft drive versus belts. Are the belts really prone to rocks getting into them and screwing up?(I'm a parking lot pilot}? Should I stay away from belts and try to get one with shaft drive? Also, I want a two speed tranny. Can these be put into both the belt or shaft drive cars? Does the tranny really make a big difference? And how hard is it to put in, if I end up buying a car without the 2 speed, and buy a kit and put it in? Also, what sort of speeds do these cars realistically do? With the .15 FE engine? And speed differences between belt and shaft? Finally, does anyone suggest any other brand/version of nitro car I might want to check out? I appreciate the feedback,
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

Belts are prone to picking up pebbles and such in dirty parking lots, wearing out, breaking, and adjusting. Shafts are prone to wear out. You can put a two speed in both and are fairly easy to adjust, it does make a difference in exceleration but not top speed. Top speed around 40 to 50 MPH. No real speed differnce in either. AE TC3, Ofna, Serpent, and there is a bunch more to look at.
  3. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Your probably not gonna get a vehicle with a .15FE anymore. HPI has moved on to the T-15. If you are looking at an hpi with the old engine than look somewhere else that has the up to date vehicles. Not that the FE wasn't good in its day but its ABN and cant really compare to the new engines.
  4. SAVAGE123579

SAVAGE123579 Member

well if you are looking for an hpi rs4 3 evo i have one that is like totally modded with a mach 15 ad an os 12 cvx engine lmk
  5. Jag

Jag New Member

Well, I just bought a Nitro TC3, with Trinity Picco .12 rr, two speed, and other factory team blue stuff. I guess I'm going with the shaft drive....and feelin' groovy.
  6. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Shaft drive is the bestest. It is not prone to rocks and stuff, and in my opinion a whole lot tougher than belts. Don't know why people used belts in the first place. I don't see real cars doing front engine rwd/4wd with belts. And besides, with shaft drive it's easy to adjust for rwd burnouts. Mine is busted up, so sad...:(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.