Howto paint with acrylic ?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
That question might seem stupid, but I didn't find anything with google.
I have no problem using acrylic paints that come as a liquid in a jar, such as Polly scale or Tamiya.
Now, I purchased some artist acrylic paints in a tube .It looks very thick. Do I have to dilute it ? ( my guess is yes ) ,what's the paint to water ratio ?
Any link to a tutorial ?
Tia.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I squirt mine out onto a paper plate then dip a brush in water. I then dip the brush into the edge of the paint, pulling out what I need, adding water as needed, depending on how thick or thin I want the color. Mixing is done much the same way with dabs of paint set next to each other, then drawing color in and mixing 'til I get what I want. The best way to see this in action is to check out the painter Bob Ross when his show is on PBS (weekends around these parts).

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for the info shaygetz.
I checked the PBS schedule here in Montreal ( PBS Vermont ) and the Bob Ross's show is scheduled on saturday at 2:00 PM
So the way I understand it there is no fixed paint to water ratio when usinfg acrylic paint in a tube. I'll have to work like the "real " artists and use a palette.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Biased turkey said:
Thanks for the info shaygetz.
I checked the PBS schedule here in Montreal ( PBS Vermont ) and the Bob Ross's show is scheduled on saturday at 2:00 PM
So the way I understand it there is no fixed paint to water ratio when usinfg acrylic paint in a tube. I'll have to work like the "real " artists and use a palette.

You're welcome. Yes, basically that's it. With a little practice you'll have it down pat, and Bob Ross (once you get passed his Happy Trees:rolleyes: ) will make you look like a pro in no time.:thumb:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I double checked the PBS Vermont schedule. It confirms that the next Bob Ross show is scheduled for next saturday jabuary 20 at 14:00 hours.
Unfortunately it won't be about painting with acryllics , but about using pastels and I doubt Bob Ross will use pastels for ... weathering a 40 ' boxcar :)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
He's an oil painter primarily, getting his start in mass produced artwork. Acrylics work and paint just like oils, only they use water so whatever techniques he shows, just modify for acrylics. Had a really good art teacher when I was in junior high school help me along.

"There is no flesh color paint..." as he snatches the tube from some hapless boob..."When I look at the back of my hand I see reds and blues, blacks and umbers, THERE IS NO FLESH COLOR BACK THERE..." as he plops said tube of paint into a nearby waste basket....:thumb: What a hoot:D

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Here's another weird but true one...there aren't ANY LINES in our universe, just distinct changes in hues that make us percieve that they exist! :eek:

Anyways, as a painter on both canvas and 40' boxcars (*I perfer reefers and flats myself! :thumb: ) I have to say that the best color for weathering any piece of equipment is one you mix yourself, no REALLY. :) A close second would be Delta Ceramacoat's "Dark (burnt) Umber" From road grime, to old wood, to established rust and scratches, nothing quite brings out the realism like DRYBRUSHED Burnt Unber! :thumb: