howto: easy image resizing for uploading to the gauge

Marxed

i just thought you guys would like this... just go here to this website, download the tool, all you have to do is right click the picture and hit resize, it will either make the original copy small or make a duplicate that is small, using the default small setting, it is the perfect size for uploading to the gauge... and best of all it takes only a blink of an eye to resize an image, you can resize thirty images in the time it takes to open up photoshop... then once you have the small image, you just go to post, hit manage attachment, then upload the image

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Image Resizer

This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click

ezdays

Out AZ way
That's a good find, but will it also allow you to change the quality setting in order to change the file size and still keep the 640 x 480 picture size? I don't see anything in you screen shot that accounts for that so I'm assuming that either it can't, or there is another screen that allows you to do that.

Marxed

the file size will be reduced.... the resolution stays the same, like 70dpi or whatever.... and with the smaller size it's alot smaller files... i take my big large images off my camera, size them with this, and there instantly good to upload to the gauge.... i even used it to size the screenshots i posted... in general, this will make nearly every image usable on the gauge upload feature

ezdays

Out AZ way
CavlrZ said:
the file size will be reduced.... the resolution stays the same, like 70dpi or whatever.... and with the smaller size it's alot smaller files... i take my big large images off my camera, size them with this, and there instantly good to upload to the gauge.... i even used it to size the screenshots i posted... in general, this will make nearly every image usable on the gauge upload feature
OK, basically what you are saying is that you reduce the physical size of the picture until the right file size is achieved. The only problem there, is that the physical size turns out less than the maximum allowed.

I follow three steps to resizing pictures to meet the Gauge requirements.
  1. Take the full size image, say (1.2 meg and 2560 x 1920 pixels), and crop what I don't think I need. Frequently I use it as-is. Both the physical and file sizes will drop somewhat.
  2. Take whatever size picture I have left and resize it to no more than 640 x 480, the file size may still be around 350K at that point.
  3. Take the image and "export optimize" (or whatever the application calls it), and reduce the "quality" to less than 100% until the file size is under 65K.
This way the picture is as large as allowed physically, and it still meets the file size requirments.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with using this powertoy file sizer, I'm just saying you need to do more if you want the maximum sized picture, unless I'm missing something here.

ausien

thanks for the link to the resizeing tool, I have used it to post pix on the gauge, and I compared the pix that I experimented with and found no differance in the quality of the resized pix or file... thanks I can now post pix on the gauge.... you may be sorry that I now have that capability.....have a good one ..steve

Marxed

ezdays said:
OK, basically what you are saying is that you reduce the physical size of the picture until the right file size is achieved. The only problem there, is that the physical size turns out less than the maximum allowed.

I follow three steps to resizing pictures to meet the Gauge requirements.
  1. Take the full size image, say (1.2 meg and 2560 x 1920 pixels), and crop what I don't think I need. Frequently I use it as-is. Both the physical and file sizes will drop somewhat.
  2. Take whatever size picture I have left and resize it to no more than 640 x 480, the file size may still be around 350K at that point.
  3. Take the image and "export optimize" (or whatever the application calls it), and reduce the "quality" to less than 100% until the file size is under 65K.
This way the picture is as large as allowed physically, and it still meets the file size requirments.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with using this powertoy file sizer, I'm just saying you need to do more if you want the maximum sized picture, unless I'm missing something here.

i do think that the height and width ratio was the same to the average digital camera ratio...

generally i take my time with taking pictures, soo i just upload raw un-edited photos most of the time, soo i just use this to bi-pass photoshop, since i can have the images uploaded by the time i'm saving the first one... and it will take up all the size possible in the upload

optimizing does condense the image down alot, but as far as i've seen, standard resolution JPEG images of any size will be become within the file limit size and pixel size with the one size checked.... basically what this tool does is reduce the actual image size, which in turn also srinks the file size.... if you wish to crop and embed a signature into the picture or anything, it's just as easy to use photoshop

i just did a test, i started with a 424 KB (434,266 bytes) image and resized it, it came out 30.5 KB (31,326 bytes)... the limit on the gauge is 68.4 KB

i just did another test, i made a 3000x3000 image added lots of colors, 6.94 MB (7,285,315 bytes), i resized it using the tool, and it came out 40.0 KB (40,960 bytes)... soo basically, anything should be made within the limit, with JPEG....

sorry for blabbering on too much, :p