How's it goin' eh'

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Bluenoser, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Hi everyone. I have recently discovered this site and am truly amazed at all the awsome models that are built and displayed here as well as all the other goodies posted in the forums. :)

Years ago when all I knew for models was plastic and wood, I had made myself a couple of models from paper (bristle board actually) as an experiment. That was when I had more money than time, now I seem to have little of either. It wasn't until much later that I discovered that this was actually an industry unto itself.

Since then, I have really gotten into it. Every year I attend the local model show/contest here in Halifax, Nova Scotia. For the last 3 I have brought my paper models for display. There are not too many modelers here who had seen this before, but it certainly captured their level of interest, and now some are trying it as well. Anyway, last weekend was the show and I took a few pictures of my display. I gave half of them away seeing as how there isn't enough room in the house for all of them. Plus, it is my hope that this may attract other newcomers to modelling in paper.

Attached Files:

2. buzuc

buzuc New Member

Really nice models !

The Mi 24 is the one from Halinsky ?
  3. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Welcome to the site......glad to have you.....I hope you enjoy yourself here...feel free to ask questions or enter will find a LOT OF INFO AND GREAT FOLKS HERE.....:) :twisted:
  4. CharlieB

CharlieB Member

Welcome to the site. I really like the pictures of your models especially the sail ship!

5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Welcome to the zoo! :cry: Ohh I mean site :twisted: . You will see quite a few Characters here 8) err I mean folks.
  6. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Thank you for all the kind greetings.:roll:

buzuc: The MI-24 is a Maly. I didn't like the coloring on it so I painted it with my wife's acrylic tole paints when it was done. These paints work quite nicely on paper models. I have painted other paper models with these paints as well. I gave this model away at the end of the show.
  7. Wily

Wily Member

So...why Bluenoser?

Why the name Bluenoser?
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Sample of Canadian money...,

9. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Well, Nova Scotians are sometimes refered to as "Bluenosers". This was a term that was applied to residents of Nova Scotia back in the days of sail and was in reference to the potatoes that grow in the region here that (supposedly) had a blueish tint to them. I've never seen any blue spuds here myself. Maybe the taters were turned blue from the cold :rofl: Anyway, the name stuck and Canada's most famous sailing ship (schooner), which was built in 1921 in Nova Scotia, was named this as well... the "Bluenose". The original ship was lost in 1946 on a reef in Haiti, but we have a replica here of her which you can sail on in the summer months.
  10. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Welcome! EH! It is awesome to call Canada home!!
  11. silverw

silverw Member

Well,it's goin pritty good, yu know, eh?

Hey Ron....(Stubblejumper to Bluenoser, eh)

Nice looking models!!

I had a chance to visit your end of the country a couple years ago, when my daughter was teaching highland dancing in Summerside.

Hope to get back there sometime.

12. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Ya, its pretty out this way. I grew up in Calgary. Sure do miss the mountains though. I also lived in Winnipeg for 5 years and in St. John's Newfoundland for a while when I was attending University there. Also sailed a bit in B.C.
  13. Wily

Wily Member

Thank you for the 'bluenose' explanation.

The nickname is also used for a WWII Fighter Group - the 352nd FG.
  14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Also the name of 434 Sqn of the RCAF/CAF, disbanded now I'm afraid.
  15. cbg

cbg Member

Hey Ron,

Welcome aboard! And thanks for the pix. I noticed quite a few free downloads among your collection, most of which I have, but have yet to actually build.

So much paper, so little time. . .Looks like I have some catching up to do.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It would be interesting to see a Bluenose II paper model. ;)
  17. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Yes, I agree. I have half thought about doing this myself but of the original Bluenose.
    I did build the Schreiber "Yacht America" a while back and thought that maybe the Bluenose could be done. So far I have managed to build the Bluenose in wood only.

Steve: did you attend the model show at Shearwater on 18 March? I have brought paper models to the last three shows at the Fleet Club as well. Have you seen any of these?

Chris: Yes, the models on the table were predominately freebies. I typically build these little guys to give away on show day. I must have given away at least half of what was on the table. I promised my brother a wooden ship model of the "Elissa" (Texas square rigger) 6 years ago and thought that I should get working on this again, so this is my current big project....but I will continue to do the little paper quick builds until I get the Elissa out of the way.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

No I did'nt hear about it till it was too late...

Besides ... Even if I knew about it I doubt I would have been in any shape to check it out since I was recouping after the 17th :wink: :grin: .

ps. You should get 1 or 2 models in the display at Maritime Hobbies and Crafts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.