HowdyDoDat Time!

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Gil, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hello All,

The photo below is an unfinished cowl ring. Question is, what is it made of and how was it made?

2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Very fine mesh with thin paper stuck to it?
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Does look like some kind of mesh used as backing. Metal or plastic, not sure.

But it would not be the first time that Gil has pulled the wool over my eyes with a new techniques!:grin:

Reguardless.......... it does hold it's shape very well, but seems to have textured the surface, maybe heavier weight paper for the outer layer would help.

4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I looks more like some kind of fabric to me(the backing).
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Plastic mesh that seems to have had the expanded metal treatment. I'm guessing that the mesh is from packaging for produce. Avocados? Nope, the mesh is too fine. Over that is either paper or plastic.

I would guess that the mesh was laid over some sort of form and then the film of either paper or plastic glued to the mesh, then the form was removed.
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Underneath is a piece of net, the kind of use for the aquarium.
    Then a film of color treated paper.
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Thinly cut corrugated cardboard with fine tissue paper then color.
  8. silverw

silverw Member

Maybe this was a "clue!"

... Bill
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Could be Bill........... but I think Dave has us heading down the right path.......... thin sliced cb shaped and soaked in CA glue.

10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

For the whole exercise to be meaningful, it's got to be a printed paper part on the outside. On the inside clearly a mesh of some sort, like already identified by several.

My guess, a mosquito net of fine plastic (cf. colour of the mesh), although I guess brass would be just fine, too.

Method? Paper part cut out oversize, sealed (nitro?) and glued (cyano?) to an oversize piece of the mesh. The whole piece is then carefully worked into shape against a large piece of eraser or mouse pad (as previously learnt).

Or against a piece of foam rubber, which is Gil's latest technique (see this post at - would love to see a photo of how that is worked).

When the correct shape has been achieved, the paper/mesh part is trimmed.

Or something completely different... just guessing here.

11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Skin from a golf ball?

Stripes are from a Magic Marker?

12. Kaz

Kaz Member

A hair roller? thats what the mesh looks like to me
  13. Gil

Gil Active Member

Any More Guestimates?

Hello All,

Some pretty good observations so far, but no cigar winners. I'll post the answer and the closest guess tomorrow so there's still time to second your guess or make a totally new one...,

14. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Fishnet stocking material? Pulled tight over a former, then layers of tissue paper soaked in CA.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Answer, Ok, Well Kinda...,

Hello All,

Some of the guesses were very close but none got it entirely right.

The mesh is aluminum and it's sold at Michaels and other craft stores. It was brushed in Barge brand cement that was slightly thinned with acetone for better flow. The paper is 32 lb - 100% cotton and was bonded with the thinned Barge cement to the aluminum mesh. The composite assembly was allowed to thouroughly dry before further work. The tool below is home made and is used to shape not only this work but also the aluminum tooling foil cowls seen here and there. The radiused tool is used to work the mesh against a flexible backing like cork or a magazine (I prefer the cork pad). The wheel pressure is held against the material while rolling the wheel back and forth. It takes a little practice but is quickly learned. The reason for trying the aluminum mesh was to see how it would perform with the tool and the work process. The "tire" shape was formed with the wheel and burnished against an "O" ring just to see how far the process could be taken.

16. silverw

silverw Member

Darn.... I was just going to say that!! LOL

I don't know where your great "ideas" come from Gil, but keep them coming!!
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I was close.............

The tools looks kinda like the ones used to put the rubber do-hickie in the frame to hold screen in.

I'm surprised that the paper stretched that far and didn't tear. I know it has some elastic qualities but that last pic should have been beyond those limits....... very cool technique Gil.

An English Wheel for paper........ you got to come up with a good name for it.

Would heaver weight paper hide the texture and still stretch enough for the tecnique to work for cowlings?

And I've got to build one before you patent it:grin:

18. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I think he used cotton
  19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Great idea Gil!

The tool used to replace screens in doors and windows may work also. You could put different thickness O rings on the grooved wheel to vary the radius.