Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Al hazlet, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

I'm a novice modeler, and currently a Texan while I'm in graduate school. I make models for games (aircraft, buildings, some vehicles) primarily.

I got interested in paper models a couple years ago, and got started modeling (as opposed to lurking and collecting downloads) last fall, when I made a flock of gliders and aircraft hangers for an Invasion of Malta game.

On the non-hobby side, I'm studying 3D design as part of my PhD, and I'm just starting to model a carrack's timbers in Rhino (based on design descriptions and period treatises on shipbuilding). It's fascinating reading the Rhino article here; in class we printed out our models on a 3D printer (built up layer by layer from glue and starch base) so we didn't have to consider unfolding them into reasonable pieces.

I hope to have something to show by the end of the summer...
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Al, welcome, and I'm glad you found the Rhino article interesting! I should have the next section done this week-end. If you are using Rhino to generate models for a Rapid Prototyping system, you will find it works really well. I run a 3D Systems SLA250 in my day job, so any time you want to compare notes, I'm all ears!

I hope you will like what you see on this site, the members are all friendly, even if they get a bit heated sometimes; sorry, passionate is a better word! And we want to see some of your projects sometime, too!

Tim P
  3. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Al Hazlet

Welcome to the nut house :lol:

Always great to have another computor buff around to help out us old folk.

The Rhino that Tim's doing is great stuff and well worth the time to learn.
    Through you two cent's worth in to the ring when you are ready.
    Have fun, we all do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.