Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Drizzt, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

Howdy. Found this forum today and decided ya'll seemed like a pretty nice bunch of people so i registered :) . Currently ive got two lionel enignes ( a 4-4-2 i believe, and what i think is a gp-9). im pretty cramped on space(wich i know is not terribly condusive to O) but i want to at least get something simple built. one thing I am considering doing with this layout is building it modular so it can be dissasembled easily. This would drasticaly increase my layout space(since i could take it down when not in use and store it). Anyone have any experience with doin a layout like this? This is an old interest ive had for a long time and will be kind of a side hobby till i leave for Texas A&M in the fall and when im home(wont be to joining the band- A Batt.). right now im working on my marine tank but unfortunatly periods between being able to do anything on it are far between:( . Also anyone have advice on staying with 3 rail or going to 2 rail? I've seen the locos converted realtivly simply but just wondering. Wich ones tarck is less expensive( money is defintetly an object.......... i know once again not condusive to O scale but hey at least ive got 2 loco's already) thanks for listnening to my rambling. Gig'Em:thumb:
  2. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

Oh and i was thinking about starting construction with a small yard of some varietyand then starting to stretch it aound the room.
  3. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

On a further not got some pretty general measurments of the space im gonna be workin with now. theres aprox. a 4x6(8?)then ill be able to run down a wall thats aprox. 10 foot(sorry for inexactnes all i had was a short tape and not totaly shure. then i can turn and i have a wall about 15 foot then can wrap the rest of the way around again for 4-5 foot. ill have at least 2 foot of room out from the wall. as i said i also have no problems adding some extra space with modules that can be stored later on. Am i spinning my wheels tryin to build a layout in o in this space? im not wanting anything real fancy i just wanna have something to run my trains on. anybody have a layout plan similar to this?
  4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Welcome to the gauge Drizzt. Try asking over in layout planning if nobody answers you here soon. Fred
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

you should have enough room for a layout in either Lionel or O scale.
    A small yard on the 4x6 and a run around the room sounds good. If you go for 2-rail, you might want to add little triangular pieces inside the corners to get a wider curve. Even for the Lionel.
    I would advise against changing the Lionel over. It's a messy business with insulating the wheels and chassis and all the side rods and then converting the motor. With the space, you might have 2 tracks -- one Lionel and one scale.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Three-rail definitely gives you more options as far as cost. I know most 3-rail list prices are outrageous, but used equipment can be very inexpensive. Used postwar-era stuff is usually cheaper than the new stuff, and the MPC-era stuff from the '70s can be cheaper than HO.

Also be sure to check out Kris Model Trains. They've been out of business for 20+ years, but it seems like a lot of train-only shops have a couple of their boxes on the shelf. They're nice, full-size for O scale, and usually seem to be priced under $20.
  7. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

thnx guys i appreciate that..............think ill stick with three rail for shure. Also glad to hear ive got enough room for some stuf to thnks. :)