howdy from Indiana

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by cbg, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbg

cbg Member

Howdy from Indiana!

I’m a shy forum user and a relative novice card modeler, so I thought I’d start this thread as my way of introduction. Hope I post everything correctly.

I’d like to build and showcase a Rigby Martin B-26 reproduction for you as faithfully as I can to the manner in which the average 1940s kid would have built it: No special adhesives, no edge-coloring, no Photoshop modifications, special resources, etc.

Of course, I had to break these rules immediately.

You’ll see what I’ve done to the spinners and nacelles in the side-by-side photos.

My rationale for this modification was to make the model appear “in flight”. There’s a more personal reason as well, which will be the punch line to this thread. . .stay tuned.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Welcome to the forum and don't be too worried about formalities. About the only thing people around here will jump on you about is if your dealing with pirated models(usually just a friendly "hey that's pirated be careful"), otherwise everyone is happy to help with just about anything you are willing to ask about. We've got just about the full spectrum of model builders here from rookies to real real good builders and everyone is willing to offer advice and give help when asked for. So don't be shy. Again welcome to the forum.
  3. cbg

cbg Member

Thanks for the welcome, willja67.

Still getting used to how the forum works. . .should I "post a reply" or "edit post" from my original? Not so sure. . .

This model was a free download from the Rigby Paper Model Club (formerly Paper Model Club of San Diego). Follow this link for some interesting insight into these models and their creator.

Okay, no more mods. . .On with the model.

I’m using modern, pointy scissors and/or X-Acto to cut out all 22 parts in sequence as they are numbered, and plain white (tacky) glue for adhesive. No assembly instructions came with the model other than a basic diagram and four cautionary notes, so I’m on my own. Hope I get it right. . .

Some fit problems with the nose section. . .a little snip midway thru the seam. . .there, that’s better.

Here’s the completed fuselage and empennage. I’ve never seen a one-piece empennage elsewhere.

Wings. . .nacelles
    I departed from the suggested method of wing making in that I rolled my leading edge as opposed to creasing, gluing flat and shaping a wing after-the-fact. Nacelles went together easily, but mounting them to the wing was a bit frustrating: tabs didn't line-up with slots and contours hard to match. (see pix)
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice work and welcome aboard! The old "cereal box" models bring out a certain nostalgia of an era before styrene and balsa was still a war material...,

6. cbg

cbg Member

Hello, Gil

As I progress I find that fit is not the best, and “crude” describes it well, but in view of the fact that these models were originally hand-drawn and my printed file is at least two generations away from the original, I won’t complain.

Besides. . .it gives the model character. I don’t think a B-26 ever flew with these colors, however.

Will post finished model and "punch line" next. . .
  7. cbg

cbg Member

Ready for the punch line?

Here’s the completed Rigby next to my dad’s wartime, homemade, peach crate B-26. I include it because it’s the same aircraft and hey, paper is a wood by-product after all. The two even appear to be close in scale.

I lost my dad a while ago, so I can’t ask him specifics about his Marauder. I imagine he built his model from commercially available plans at the time (ca. 1944-45).

Perhaps someone from this forum has expertise in this subject area?

Anyway, that’s it. . .Nice meeting you all. Card on!
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Nice comparison of the two models. Is your father's model a solid wood model?
  9. cbg

cbg Member

Hello, Ash

Fuselage is one-piece. Other parts were made separately, as far as I can tell.

I don't know if it's the same wood throughout, or just bits and pieces he scavenged. If you zoom in on the tail in the first set of pix, you'll see an old repair that was made once upon a time. . .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.