How Wide?

NewTrain

Apr 12, 2004
students.chs.lane.edu
I am putting a layout in my tree house. It will for around the perimiter. What is the minimunm width that i can make the platform and not be worried about the train falling the 3 1/2 ft to the ground? I also plan to use a Kato Engine with a Digitraz Zephyr DCC system is this a good idea?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
:wave: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the-gauge NT! :wave: :wave: :wave:

HO doesn't usually go more than 6" off course. N I guess would do about half that. If you have room, maybe go with a standard 12" shelf, that way you can have sidings and still remain 6" away from the death ledge. In areas, you might want to run the track closer to the drop off, and you could model a fenc eto keep it in. You planning a plain loop or some turnouts, sidings, industries, etc?

DCC? I would save your money and go with a straight DC system if it's just one loco.

NewTrain

Apr 12, 2004
students.chs.lane.edu
Thanks that was what width i was planning. Does anyoine make a netting system to catch locomotives. And i was planning on running two engines and a 5' by 6' switching yard.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
For netting, you could look around at garage sales for an old volley ball net, or badminton net. 12" wide strips strategicly placed would offer the protection you need.
The Zephyr system is probably the most user friendly of the Digitrax products, and all you'd need for the layout you're planning. Kato is a good choice, and you should be able to find a plug-and-play decoder for it.
Pete

F

Fred_M

How about plexiglass shield about 1 inch high for a "guard rail". Skeeter netting should work too. My front track is 5 inches from the edge and in 5 years I have only lost 1 caboose off the edge of the world. Welcome to the gauge. FRED

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If you work the scenery right, you could put strips of scenery at the side so that they're higher than the track, with a bit of slope up to them, but a small flat area just beside the tracks. Vary it, and have some plain plexiglass as well.
Let us know what area you're in, and we might be able to direct you to some local events.

NewTrain

Apr 12, 2004
students.chs.lane.edu
Good point its an Octagon with 5.5ft sides and a 3 ft diamater tree in the middle.
heres a drawing of my planned layout(not to scale)may not be very clear depends on scanner
:thumb:

F

Fred_M

Up in vB code there's a buttom marked IMG. Punch it and fill out the URL. I'd do it for you but you deleted the address...FRED

NewTrain

Apr 12, 2004
students.chs.lane.edu
File0001.tif

the circle in the middle is the tree and sorry for the huige pic my compressedone is acting weird
if that doesn't work click here http://students.chs.lane.edu/~akayl78/mysite/Web Hosted Images/File0001.tif