How to wire the transformer?

WarrenW

I seem to be missing the piece of track that I wire my transformer to. Can someone tell me if I can wire the leads from my transformer to a regular piece of track? And if so, which ones? I have a Lionel O-27 gauge set that I got a few years ago.

Thanks!

Warren

Joepomp

Solder?

I don't use O gauge, but I assume it like HO. Just solder the wire to the side of the approprate rails. :rolleyes:

baldwinjl

But with three rail you need to choose the right two, I think. From his other post I think he got it figured out.

Jeff

Pooh Bah
There is a little device called a "lockon" that locks onto the track (took me years to understand that) and has terminals to connect the 2 wires for the transformer. It clips onto one outside and the inside rail.

baldwinjl

If I remember my Lionel, it picked up between either outer rail and the middle rail. It couldn't matter which outer, cause you could put it either way on the track.

Jeff

Pooh Bah
Most 3-rail track is made so that the 2 outside rails are electrically joined by the ties.
If you don't have the lockon, you could solder wires on. Just don't get solder on the top of the rail or where the wheels go. Soldering is a pain because of the size of the rails.