how to wire automatic switches

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ewwwgross, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ewwwgross

ewwwgross New Member

027 dogbone layout. im not sure how to connect the wires to the automatic switches. do i need a special transformer, etc.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The switches are set to be powered from the track. You should have a controller that has 3 wires to go to each switch; not sure exactly how,but with only 3 wires, it shouldn't take too long to figure out.
    There is an alternate wiring method, shown in one of the magazines this month. The O gauge switches have a "fixed voltage post" to give the switches full voltage even if the track power is turned down. In O-27 it requires taking the bottom off, so I wouldn't try it just yet.
    For a return loop, the non-derailing feature should work, even if the controller isn't hooked up.
    edit: the magazine is the latest Classic Toy Trains.
    It shows different wiring for 2 different models of switch.
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The controller wiring is different on different models of switches, so either refer to the manual that came with the switches, or go trial and error. You won't hurt anything if you wire the controllers wrong.

But you don't need anything special. Put the track together, put a locomotive on it, give it a test run, and it'll just work. The switches' nonderailing feature will allow it to work even without the controllers, but the controllers will allow you to change the behavior of the train, so they're worth hooking up.
  4. ewwwgross

ewwwgross New Member

i guess the non derailing ones i bought off ebay just dont work correctly. also , one of them emits a buzzing sound. any reccomendations on non-derailing switches compatible with current lionel 027 track? (prefer inexpensive)
  5. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I changed all my Lionel 027 switches to K-line low profile ones.

The last time I bought them, $25.00 delivered. And they can run from track or aux power. :)

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Do you have the insulating pins in the rails coming from the frogs? Those rails are what make the non-derailing feature work, but they need to be separated from the track coming in. If they aren't, the switch spends all day trying to throw itself, possibly both ways at once.
    (Try Olsen toy trains web for instruction sheets. You'll need the switch model number.)