How to weather Little Johnny's trains

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Jim - BTW: Thanks on the lettering, what I did was took a buisness card and a .5 mm pencils and drew a stencil style P-K on it several times in different sizes. Then I took a scalpal and cut them out. I use the ends of the bristols on a drybrush. At first I goofed about 1/4 of them like the one on the patched side of the gondo; too much paint.

Lackawanna Jim

Nov 27, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Ahh, Jon;

You THINK you goofed on a 1/4 of them; they look great! It's the roughness that gives them that home-road quality! Makes it look like the guy really slobbered it on there...

I Model the Lackawanna and the EL. One of the things that endeared me to the EL (aside from watching it go by as a kid) was this: sometimes, when they shopped their ALCO RS units, the hood doors would get mixed up, so that the railroad name spelled out was something like Eerie Lackawannanna :confused:

I haven't gotten the nerve yet to try and replicate it; one of these days, and a spare ALCO too...

Great weathering; love the dimension to the rust spot. I used one of my wifes eyebrow pencils of the appropriate color; just dab it and drag with a paper towel... I'll go try and take a photo...

Jim

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Yer right, Jim, it's just dawg aweful hard to find little plastic people that care about their work these days. I keep tellin' 'em, "C'mon guys, this is the 50's, you're supposed to have that work ethic for another 30 years!" and they just look at me with those plastic eyes. Make's ya want to flick 'em accross the room.

With a road name like your, yoiu might appreciate, on the card I wrote out Paulsen-Knudsen but never cut it out; decided it was enought o cut out two P-K's :D :D :D