How to strip paint from an Athearn wide vision caboose?

curmudgeon

Nov 25, 2004
mid-TN, USA
Soaking in automotive brake fluid will strip many paints.
May take more than one bath.
A soft-bristled toothbrush lets you gently scrub with little liklihood of damage.

Good luck.

regards,

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Denatured alcohol is the chemical agent in automotive brake fluid that works as paint stripper. I don't know what is available in the Philippines, but Home Depot and Lowes here in the U.S. carry denatured alcohol in 1 gallon containers in the paint thinner area of the paint dept.

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
If you can find it, Chameleon is a very good hobby paint stripper. However, the company that make Chameleon is out of buisness so good luck finding it.

My LHS has 3 bottles left and they're $20 each. Not the best deal in my opinion.

CN_Fan

Aug 19, 2007
Oven cleaner, any brand, spray, seal in a bag and wait a few hours. Scrub under running water with a toothbrush then dry. Repaint to personal tastes.

Ronson2k3

Apr 2, 2008
London, ON, Canada
All seem like good suggestions. I would add maybe washing it with soap and water afterward so that there isn't any chemical left that would interfere with painting (bother your hands and the like)...

MidnightRR

Dec 10, 2006
Denver, CO
www.midnightrailroader.com
I'd like to know how you would strip the paint of an Athearn wide vision caboose. Model paint stripper can be bought from static model shops here in the Philippines, and it appears to be my only choice. How could I effectively use this?
Safest product is 91% isopropyl alochol.

It isn't caustic, doesn't have much in the way of fumes, and I have soaked cars in it for literally weeks (when I forgot them) with no ill effects.

Paint generally comes off in sheets with a toothbrush after an hour or so soaking.

Very cheap, in plastic bottles at Wal-mart or drugstores here.

IandOFan71

Mar 20, 2007
Groveport, Ohio
What I use and swear by is called Castrol Super Clean. You can find it any place that sells automobile parts. It comes in a big purple container. It works better than anything else I've tried and is safer than most. It has a nice pleasant smell but most importantly it takes any paint off in no time without damaging or even softening the plastic. The only drawback is that you MUST wear gloves because this stuff will quickly remove a layer of skin. Other than that it's great.

Thanks for all the replies. :) I liked the isopropyl alcohol approach most. In fact, I thought of this:

Tamiya acrylic thinner + 70% isopropyl alcohol

Acrylic paint/thinner is water based, thus I think the 70% isopropyl alcohol will mix well. I tried to look for 90% isopropyl alcohol here in the Philippines, but I had no success in the drug stores. I might, however, find it in scientific laboratory supply stores.

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
look at the ingredients. If it's denatured Ethanol (best to use a concentration of at least 80%) then it should be ok.

Labs will have 95-99% pure denatured ethanol.

Try the 70% isopropyl alcohol first. It will probably work just as well