How to start a tube?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Chief400, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Chief400

Chief400 Member

OK I know this is prolly covered somewhere, but darned if I can find it. How the heck do ya start a small tube (like 1/16th" or so) I've tried folding it a little and just can;t get it started easily....any suggestions appreciated ....
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

3. Chief400

Chief400 Member

OK I guess what I really wanna know is how to start rolling a rod like for a mast or ships gun.......Nice tip for cylinders though....came timely for a project I'm working on as well!
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

isnt it the same process? just harder to get started. You can try leaving extra paper on one side and taping it to a dowel the tape will roll really easily then the paper will naturally follow. Just make sure to leave enough extra paper so you dont put tape on the printed part :)
  5. Rolling tight tubes

I don't know if this is common pactice but when I'm rolling a tube I extend the cylinder on the inside edge (if not butt joining) and then trim the extended edge down to a sharp point. The sharp point will roll very tightly as it has little material. It is the same as rolling a sheet of paper along a diagonal axis starting in a corner.

Gradually rolling and unrolling it you can extend the roll across the whole cylinder widthwise and then lengthwise. It gets very tightly wound up. I then unroll, trim off the excess and the paper curls back up into a tube ready to glue up.

I have applied this to large diameter tubes as well and not needed a dowel yet.
  6. Chief400

Chief400 Member

Dang!!!! Now why didn;t I think of that?

I am always trying to develope better techniques. I developed a method of rolling tubes that works perfect every time and makes a perfectly round tube. I take a dowel or piece of PVC tubing somewhat smaller than the diameter I ultimately want. This is perfect for but joints by the way. I then glue on the inside tab for the joint. When dry, I spray the back carefully with foaming window cleaner. This moistens the paper without wetting it too much plus it dries faster. I then tape a piece of bond paperhorizontally to the dowel. begin to roll it until the dowel is covered with the bond paper. Then insert the edge of your piece and roll it up. The bond paper keeps everything clean and separated and also aborbs excess moisture. Remove when dry and I gurantee the most perfect tube you ever rolled. since the tube is slightly smaller it springs closed when you stretch it back to joint it so it makes gluing the edge joint a snap. This works especially well for heavy papers that tend to crinkle when rolled to tightly.
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I take a piece of .020 welding rod from my Tig welder wet the edge of the paper a tiny bit then roll onto the wire like rolling a cigarette. If you moist the whole tube when wet you can bend (a little) and make a curved tube. Thats what I did on the engine exhaust pipe on "My Ekranoplan" model.
  9. You can cheat sometimes if you are looking for the best result. I use a Q tip shaft for really small tubes. You can also lbuy lollypop sticks, also made of paper, at the crafts store. Theyare both paper so it stays within the perimeters of "paper" modeling. I tend to go for the overall result rather than testing the limits of my abilities. You can achieve some pretty incredible detail using these methods.
  10. David H

David H Member

What a mad coincidence; I spent yesterday morning working out how to make tapering tubes for masts gun barrels and columns etc.

Adding to the comments above getting the tube to start and tuck-under is the hardest part. After that roll, unroll, roll unroll... use smaller and smaller mandrels to roll the tube around. A final tight roll and bleed in thin white glue.

View attachment 11138

Use thinner paper, 80gsm seems fine, and make the tube longer than you need, trim off the excess top and botom.

Tapered tubes needed covering. The Cleo thread was an inspiration!

I found the tongue was handy and helped tighten things up.

Other than that patience and the love and tollerance of a good wife and family help... finished articles soon.

11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Meh! How does one create a truncated cone with a small diameter? LIKE a 1/72-1/25 gun barrel?

It's damn hard.
  12. David H

David H Member

I suspect, but do not hold me too it, that thinner paper and wire/pins is your only choice.

This one is about 3mm tapering to 1 and a bit mm.

View attachment 11157

Has anyone played with the ratio of length of sides? On Saturday I found 3.5 x 2 was good for this mast.

13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Well .. from experience ... so far I have learned from building the Yamaha YZR-R1 that if you use laminated stock ... it's going to de-laminate pretty fast with tube rolling. So $14 worth of printing 2 models (yeah I was a stupid head to make the choice) is wasted because halfway through the build I decided to call it quits because the inner roll delam'd from the outer creating a bloody mess.

Now ... onto another example. Mr Rukr's Icarus with Booster. On thinner paper life was a little easier except that all 'cones' both truncated and complete were still a problem with 60lb cardstock (YZR was 110lb laminated, 2x55lb?).

I find his models incredible but his construction process somewhat difficult. It could be me in rolling the cylinders and cones and not the designer's issue. Now on Nobi's T55 I had a heck of a time with 60lb cardstock rolling the tank barrel. It never worked out which is why you dont see any finished pictures.

What I am trying to say. Rolling a tube is a very easy task compared to rolling a cone. When you roll a tube your using a dowel like instrument to wrap the paper around which has a constant diameter at both ends. No such luck for a cone.

Using different diameter dowels to get a tapered shape only creates a tighter tube.
  14. David H

David H Member

Having been frightened by this task for a long time I say "cheat" roll cones from triangular paper blanks. Once dry cover the cone in the printed kit piece, less joining strip, or cut a clean paper sheath and paint the composite part.

This may upset the purist but my fingers are too big to do any better.