how to set a mod motor degrees

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by rc10gt3jimbo, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

ok i crashed my lil losi xxx with the 13 turn d5, the motor smacked the curb and nocked the armature off, i figured out it wasnt broken but now its not set for the degrees on the can it ges -20 t0 20 nowi think i have it set at 0 it hauls#@$%now but im pretty sure what im doing isnt good for it , please advse how to set the motor back up to run properly and please dont tell me i need a dyno
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

you dont need a Dyno.you can do it by ear.
    1).take the motor out of the car or take the pinion gear off.loosen the end bell just enough to be able to spin it with your hand and set it on 0 degrees.(as it is now)
    2).hook up a battery to the motor directly so that the motor is running.spin the end bell toward the + sign slowly until you hear it rev higher,find where it revs the higest and back off 4-5 degrees.
    3).while the motor is still running,evenly tighten the enbell screws.and you are done.

NOTE:you can run the motor at 0 degrees and it wont hurt anything.also,that motor might have even been set on 0 degrees in the factory.what i have listed are some directions on how to advance the timing to get the most power out of the motor.
  3. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

tim you rok man i really apreaciate your advice, your about one of the only people givin me feed back, i apreaciate it
  4. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

also i should be checking the nmotor for heat if i run it at ne thing other then factoryu rihght , i noticed at 0 degrees it rawn way better then stock what ever that was , but i thought it gto hot easier didnt run it much i was afraid of ruining it
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

well you have the D5 motor(flat wire).i never had one.if it ran great at 0 degrees and didnt run hot,as it did with the advanced timing, then maybe thats your best bet.advancing the timing like that will squeze all the power it can possibly pull from the battery.any motor will run hotter.they sell motor heat sinks and people use them,generaly,when they are running with advanced timing and other setups where heat is developed.
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

i did have a D4 motor.it came stock with advanced timing.but didnt run so hot where i felt it called for a heat sink.
  7. rc10gt3jimbo

rc10gt3jimbo Member

how many degrees is it ok to have a motor reach i have a temp gun for my gas truck, i can use it to tweek the motor,.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

ive never used a temp gun on an electric motor.
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.