How to scratchbuild a boat like this?

kitwrecker

May 17, 2007
Boats like this were common in my part of the world in 1900-1945. Need ideas how to create convincing models in HO. If someone has drawings and other guides how to accomplish this I would be most grateful.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 301

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Balsa, plasticard and a lot of patience.

I'm not sure if there are any good plans available, but it shouldn't be too difficult to draw something based on the photo's you posted. Once you have that, construction should be relatively straightforward.

What's the exact place of the world you're modeling and do you have a specific prototype in mind for your ship?

kitwrecker

May 17, 2007
I live in the north of Sweden and the second boat is a photo taken by me just a couple of weeks ago. The boat is restored and function as a café.

Yeah, it would be a lot easier if I had plans or drawings. :-|

N

nachoman

You may find a model of a boat you can take the hull from, and then build the superstructure above from styrene or wood. The way I see it, the hull is the hard part. You may also try carving the hull out of a solid block of wood. Making something like that with complex curves out of individual pieces is tricky.

kevin

kitwrecker

May 17, 2007
It would be much easier with plans or drawings from similar vessels.. that´s for sure. :neutral:

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
North of Sweden, nice, that helps.

I found some drawings of a boat which looks a bit like what you're planning to build: En presentation av fartyget M/S Gustaf Wasa

If you have that boat floating just there nearby, you could start by maybe asking the owners of the café if they might have any plans of their boat there that you could see/copy/photograph. You might get lucky and they might even be happy to help you.

Else you could take photographs from every angle (side, front, rear) which could serve as a basis for drawings. (And you should probably do that anyways for reference when detailing the model)

kitwrecker

May 17, 2007
I can upload another batch of pics on the local vessel, would be nice if you could make a drawing from that. But how to build a waterline vessel from that? Don´t know **** about boats really.. of course I could carve one out from a piece of wood but with no accuracy and I wouldn´t know how to construct decks and railings on that piece of wood..

No one tried this out before? :-|

Dave1905

May 27, 2007
You could start with a smaller scale ship model for the hull, and main deck, then scratchbuild the deckhouse and pilot house.

Revell made a fire boat that would be a really good start for that type of boat if a little big.

I think RDA makes a boat similar to what you are trying to do.

Dave1905

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I did a bit of an internet search and found this kit from the U.K. It is 1/72 scale which is slightly bigger than ho (1/87 scale), but the hull looks to be about right. You would have to scratch build the superstructure, and probably cut off the bottom of the hull to put it "in the water" on a layout.

Model Slipway - Kit Manufacturers of Scale Model Boats and Ship Models suitable for R/C. Specializing in tugs and workboats. Trent Class Lifeboat. Yorkshireman, Wyeforce and Al Khubar Tugs, Envoy Class tug, Englishman tug, Loyal Class Tender, Vliestr

I tried to link the page for the specific model, but it loads as the home page only. The model I was looking at was the "steam drifter" kit code ms-25 listed as a mini kit.

ironhorsejohn

Jan 4, 2007
Yes, the Revell firefighter boat hull would be an excellent starting point. You might even be able to use some of the superstructure. Unfortunately, I don't think its in production anymore, but you can find them on eBay.