how to scale up model?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by yaniv, Jul 27, 2008.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i have a scane i made for the IAF MAG model of the F16D and i like to scale it up for 1.33

what is the way i need to print it to come out on 1.33
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You need the original scale of the model to assist in scaling it up.

If the original model was 1:50 for example and the scale you wish to change it to was 1:33. You take the new scale and divide the original scale into it the times the result by 100 to get the percentage you are require to scale it up by.

Using the example above you would have 50/33 = 1.515151515151 x 100 = 151.515151

Take your scanned images and scale them all 151.515151%. Hopefully you will be able to fit 'portions' of the scaled parts onto sheets you can print on. A quick solution to that would be to use an image editing tool like to copy and paste selected parts onto a new sheet.
  3. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

Alternate method

You can also do a calculation based upon a comparison of the overall length of the actual airplane with the measured length of the drawing.

I believe that the F-16 is 14.8 meters (1480 cm) long. A model of 1/33 would thus be 1480 divided by 33 = 44.85 cm.

If you measure the length of your drawing (call it LD), the calculation would be 44.85 cm divided by LD.

If your drawing is, for example, 20 cm long, you would divide 44.85 cm by 20 cm, giving you 2.2425 or 224%.

If your drawing is, for example, 50.5 cm long, you would divide 44.85 cm by 50.5, giving you .8881188 or 89% (rounding up) or 88% (not rounding up).

Double check your calculations. I once completed a model before I realized that my calculations were off. Intending 1/550, I ended up having a model of 1/500 scale.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

That method works well with only one big issue.

You would have to build the model first to get the current dimensions. Then have a base to scale up the parts. This is assuming that the overall size is all you have to work with for scale purposes. I would guess that if one were to have a part on a sheet available that is of a specific size (like perhaps a wheel rim diameter) you could quick measure that part and do the needed calculations against the real world part.
  5. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

SteveO: Sorry, I incorrectly assumed that a drawing of the fusalage was available. I guess if you are talking about a paper kit, you would not have such a drawing. Yaniv should ignore my post unless he is scratchbuilding.
  6. Maybe this helps..
    Take the bottom number (i.e. if your moving it from 1/48 - you use 48) of the first scale divided by the bottom number of the second scale (i.e. if your moving it to 1/72 you'd use 72) and you have your percentage.

Example: Convert 1/48 to 1/72

48 ÷ 72 = 0.666666... or 66.67%

Works the other way too!

72 ÷ 48 = 1.5 or 150%

Actualy it is what SteveO already said..