How to print and glue to cardboard?

Discussion in 'How Do I...' started by mant6809, Apr 3, 2012.

1. mant6809

mant6809 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm totally new to this hobby and find it fascinating! I've done lots of plastic modeling before discovering this hobby.

I've done 2 or 3 models, taken from free models on the net, after realizing there's was a lot of simple to not so simple ones available for beginners.

But a ran into a BIG problem:

When i started out I had my old printer which wasn't so great for the color, but could print on fairly thick cardboard. Then it died... So I replaced it with a new model which print very good color quality, but doesn't seems to be able to print on anything else than very thin cardboard. So I tried to print on paper and glue afterwards on cardboard, but I can't find a good technique! glue stick doesn't cover everything even when I put lots, when I cut the pieces, the corners always unglue. And with white glue or even wood glue, even when I spread it nice and thin, it's will distort or "wave" the paper, even when put under a heavy book.

I am sure there's an easy solution that I overlooked, but can't find anything on the web. Can't afford a new printer just for cardboard (my wife would never agree to spend money for that!)...

So I came here for help...

PS: Wow! the models I've seen here... Can't wait to be able to post my projects when I'm good enough!
  2. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

You can use glue in spray, like this one
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I am just wondering how you can have a joint date of 2008, and have a post dated as your first today? Are you just returning, or is there a problem with the forum software I should know about? :confused:
  4. mant6809

mant6809 New Member

Hahaha! Like I said, I used to do a lot of plastic modeling. In 2008, browsing the internet, I found this forum, and joined thinking I would try out Card Modeling... never got around to it until this january, after I broke my ankle and got stuck with too much free time on my hand. Looking through my old bookmarks, I found the forum, so I decided the time was perfect to start! So no, there isn't a problem with the forum's software!

And thanks, I will definitely try spray glue tomorrow!
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Thank you very much for explaining this to me!! I am really happy you decided to come back and give us another shot. If you live near a Michael's Craft Store, they sell great glues there. I like UHU glues, and ZIP DRY, for heavier stuff. Zip Dry works really well for gluing plastic windows to paper, and other dissimilar materials together. These glues to not distort the printed surfaces either, like water based glues, such as Elmer's. :)

6. lehcyfer

lehcyfer Member

Don't wait. Post right smack from the start - you'll get tips on how to do things better and will improve your results faster this way.
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I agree. Don't be shy. People here don't attack people's work. Any suggestions will be offered up in a manner respectful of you and your efforts. People like seeing build thread because no matter how long you do this hobby, there's always something new to learn. :thumb:
  8. PemTech

PemTech Member

I've had good luck using rubber cement for gluing printed pages to poster board. You only get one shot, but the glue holds forever.