How to paint the DPM #512 roadkill cafe

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I just purchased the N scale structure from the Design Preservation Models #512 Roadkill Cafe.
It looks good but infortunately, the illustration is a grey level one, so I can't guess what the real colors are.
I really would appreciate any colour reference pics of that model.
Tia

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I don't know that there's a prototype for the Roadkill...! ;)

I think you can paint it whatever colours you want, especially if it is wood sided. If brick, the more traditional colours are, well, brick coloured. :D Red, brown, yellow, but even brick gets painted over all the time.

Try google to see what images might turn up.

Andrew

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Hi - if you go the DPM website (http://www.dpmkits.com/) and choose N Scale from the menu across the top, and then choose NScale kits when the menu pops up, you find a full-color picture of the Road Kill Cafe once you scroll down a little.
This will tell you what colors DPM think it should look like.
As MasonJar suggests, though, you could choose any other brick color for the structure, but dull and faded would look better rather than brand new!

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I've got two DPM kits waiting for paint and looked online at their color selection. Nice but well...not real original (which probably means they tried to duplicate an actual building's colors and I'm messing with a prototypical design). I plan on going to some home-type store (HD or Lowe's) and picking colors from their samples that coordinate, then matching them as best as I can at the LHS. Yep, I'm color-matching challanged when it comes to painting...so I'll let someone else match them for me and paint accordingly.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Your colour scheme can depend a lot on the location and era of your modelled town. An older era would call for the brick to be unpainted, while the iron details could be just about any colour. A modern era could see this building in some pretty garish colours, or sandblasted back to a "clean-as-new appearance". In between those two extremes, it could be unpainted, but dirty, brick, or painted white, grey, beige, or any "phony" brick colour. Another thing to keep in mind is that many areas, at the time this structure would have been built, had their own brick works, so many buildings in a small town might all be built of the same colour brick. In the city where I grew up, the local brick, seen most on older buildings, was very orange: Floquil Reefer Orange would be a close match. Fifty miles north of there, most older brick buildings were a creamy buff colour. If you decide on unpainted brick, the colour you choose for the mortar can drastically alter the appearance of the finished building, too. Mortar could be white, grey, beige, brown, or even black, and every variation in between. Often, the front of a building might be a different colour of brick than the sides and back, or the front might get a coat of paint, while the sides and back just get dirty.

Wayne

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Just to throw this into the pot too...

Around here and many other cities, there is a large push for urban/inner city renewal and as such, they are painting many buildings in newer color schemes as well as reaching back to update a more traditional scheme. I can think of many cities that are doing this with good results. In the end, you have a city block with older-designed buildings with up to date color choices. That's actually what I'm trying for on my layout. What I've found is that you're somewhat limited in picking more up-to-date house colors at the LHS when all they sell are car/airplane/military paint colors.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks to all the people who took some of their time to reply.
AS suggested by Meiriongwril and MCL_RDG I visited the DPM website and found a colour pic of the cafe.

After doing some more search, I found a very complete and interesting tutorial about building and painting the DPM buildings at:
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/mhslayout/mhs-dpm.htm

By the way, I found the Gateweynmra site to be a top one. They have some small layouts well suited for beginners.

Last weekend, I was going through some old issue of Model Railroader , the april 2006 issue had a tutorial about superdetailing buildings and guess what example was choosen for that tutorial ? our good old roadkill cafe.

After all that help, I don't have any excuse at all for not finishing that structure.