How to open/work on an Atlas S-2?

Twindad

I recently bought a terrific Atlas S-2 locomotive from a collector. I don't have the box or any papers for it, but it's heavy as all heck and it says "made in Austria" on the bottom, if that's any indicator (?).

There are two things I need to do to it: 1) put in a decoder (probably an n-scale decoder due to size--any suggestions?), and 2) change the couplers from horn hook to kadee. After looking at it, however, I have no idea how to take it apart. Can anyone help point me in the right direction, or is this one for the LHS to handle?

thanks!
Steve

TCH

am fairly sure it was made by ROCO.
seem to remember that the cab lifted straight up
then lift the cab end of the body upward and toward the cab and it should come straight off

trevor

cnw1961

Atlas has exploded views/part lists of their S2/4s on their website: HO Scale Parts . I don’t know if these drawings show your old model made by Roco, but they might help. As for a decoder, have a look at the Digitrax DZ 123 or DZ 143. They are very small, strong enough for a HO engine (I use three DZ 123 for my HO engines) and run pretty well.

TCH

I googled atlas s2 and found a few decoder installations on tonys train exchange forum page.
decoder would have to be placed in the cabin as there is not much room in the body. - like none
I tried to fit a decoder many years ago but ended up wrecking the motor [not isolated from frame] just one of the many stupid things Ive done over the years - why does this happen?
fitted kadee #5`s without any drama

hope this is of some help
let`s know how you get on

trevor

Twindad

Trevor, Kurt--thanks tons, guys! I got the shell off the way you described, Trevor, lifting the cab off first. Wow, there is no room in there...gives me pause as far as trying to install a decoder in there (I've already installed 2 decoders in other older engines of mine, but this one takes the cake in terms of lack of room).

Do you know what I would have to do to isolate the motor? Plus, it looks like I may have to do something with the light too. I'm going to try and find those pages on tony's forum.

thanks again--I'll let you know what happens.
Steve