How to modify a pdf?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by cgutzmer, Jan 28, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Can someone give some basic instructions on how to modify a pdf? I want to make some new cubes out of b-maniacs cubes and have no idea how to go about it. I have acrobat 7 pro all patched up!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

photoshop - sweet! got that :)
  3. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I thought you had all the answers Chris! I could've been learnin' you!
    Illustrator works good too!
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I dont know diddly squat about illustrator though :)
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I think Illustrator is better at this than Photoshop.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

That is a PRIME reason to learn Chris...gmornin dude!
  7. xyberz

xyberz Member

Okay no one posted why Illustrator would be better than Photoshop so I'll post the main difference and why they suggested it over the other.

Photoshop is typically used to edit photographs, hence the first part of it's name "Photo". You can use it to draw pictures but it's definitely not as good as Illustrator.

Illustrator has the fantastic ability to convert your picture files into vector graphics. What's so great about converting your original picture, image, or drawing into a vector graphic?
    A converted vector image, picture, or drawing uses mathematical equations to draw it's image instead of the traditional raster style of using fixed collection of pixels to draw up your image.
    When both types of the original file formats are compared next to each other, you will notice hardly if no difference at all. But the magic starts happening when you decide to increase the size of the picture. With the traditional raster image, you'll start to notice a fair to considerable amount of pixelation. This happens because when you resize the picture, your computer has to estimate how many times to multiply the pixels in order to hopefully achieve a decent looking end result. Of course it's never good by any means and blurriness is all you normally see.
    With vector graphics, your image is calculated using mathematical equation to figure out where each color and pixel should be at. So when you attempt to increase the size of the picture, your computer simply makes a simple multiplication of that equation. It's much more simple to calculate an equation with number rather than have to estimate and compensate for a fixed pixel on your screen.

Here's a graphical representation of what I just explained so you can better get the picture:

Lets take a look at the picture below. Say for instance that you had 2 versions of picture A saved as two different file formats. One is the original Raster image file and another converted to or saved as a Vector graphic file.

Okay now we try to zoom in and/or increase the size of the picture.

Notice that in picture B, which was saved as a Vector graphic file, you can see that through the use of mathematical equations, our computer was able to easily calculate the equation precisely to increase/zoom into the picture without any distortion what so ever.

But when you look at picture C, which was saved as a typical Raster image file and is drawn up using a collection of pixels at fixed points, you can start to see the blurriness because the computer is trying to estimate as best as it has been programed to in order to try and fill in and increase the dimensions of the original pixels in the picture. Obviously it's not a great job as doing such a computation is more of an art than an exact calculation.

Hopefully I didn't lose anyone along the way or over complicate the way it works. :grin:

Also just wanted to note that saving files as a vector image decreases the overall file size considerably as it's a lot less information having to store mathematical equations rather than colored pixels at fixed points in an image.
  8. Alcides

Alcides Member