How to make larger prints

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Leif Oh, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Newcomers to the hobby may not be aware of the fact that you can indeed make much larger prints on your ink-jet printer than the common A4 size. On my printer, an Epson, there is a "Customize" option available when you bring up "Page Setup", allowing you to make, in particular, longer prints.

The maximum width you can print is determined by the printers physical constraints. In my case I think it is somewhere around 21.6 cm (8.5 inches, the "Letter" and "Legal" size width). The length of the printed area, however, is for practical purposes only constrained by the paper size available.

Since I am into scaling models to 1/25 I often run into severe constraints when preparing larger models. The solution has been to buy larger sheets of 225 g paper, and already in the shop cut it down to the max width the printer can swallow, and the max length the larger paper sheets allow.

This way, I can now work with a paper size of 21.6 cm (8.5 inches) x 44 cm (17.3 inches). Here is an example:

This is one of my print sheets for the Fly Models Vickers Vimy, scanned & scaled to 1/25, redesigned, recoloured, and the parts rearranged to fit my new maximum paper size.

If I had stuck with the ordinary A4 size, it would indeed have been impossible to fit even the long aft fuselage parts in. It would have been necessary to divide them into two parts, with ensuing difficulties of joining them later. Now I get them in one piece, plus several other parts!

What you do, is to go into the "Customize" menu, and create a new printing format, in my case e.g. "21.6 x 44 cm". Choose "Maximum" printable area. Note the total measures for the margins (width & length). In your graphic programme set the width & length of the "working space" to the new paper format, minus the margins.

The option to cut my own paper size, and utilize the printer's maximum area has given me a new freedom in choosing subjects for modeling. It is not an unlimited freedom (really wide AND long parts, such as the Vimy wing, still have to be divided up), but it is a great improvement.

Leif Oh.
  2. j77ason

j77ason New Member

I use a photocopier - it is easy, cheap and I can do multiple copies at any scale I wish, without getting frustrated with my computer, software or printer