how to make a larg RC model?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by yaniv, Oct 30, 2007.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

any one know any site or any king of information how i can turn some of the halinski models into RC plane in 1/16 or 1/24?
  2. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Hi, Yaniv. I have got a web site on my 'fav list' on my other computer. It's for park jet and prop's, all scales. I'll post it in a bit.
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

It shouldn't be that hard to stick RC equipment into a paper aircraft, (or, is it?)
  4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Try this web site FREE Plans Page

Some great free plans on that site that can be converted to be used with card.

I think I've posted this on here before for someone else.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

6. c wiseman

c wiseman New Member

Hey my 1st post! I usually just lurk, trying to learn from all of you but this is a topic I can actually add to.

There is an R/C forum I am part of that builds airfraft out of fan fold foam,(the blue/gree/pink stuff that is wrapped around houses during construction to insulate them) here in the US.

In the UK and Europe a material called depron (used as underlayment for wood/laminate floors) is more common for building. the link to the group is Foamies (Scratchbuilt) - RC Groups

There are many threads that deal with making R/C models from paper model plans like Fiddler's Green, some of them are breathtakingly beautiful (Search for Mechrick's Pfalz D-III) some of the builders (search for posts by vyceroy) specialize in making R/C plans from such plans.

Adapting paper models to R/C is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!!!!! I you keeep it light it is relatively inexpensive (much cheaper than the micro R/C talked about on these forums, but there is another section on R/C groups dedicated to micro flying)

I am currently building a Fokker DVII from FG plans to R/C I will warn you that I discovered paper modeling years ago, found Fiddler's Green, then discovered foamie R/C. Ask yourself if your ready for another addiction? :rolleyes: Personally I am waiting for Congress to put more hours ito each day...Yeah that would be the ticket. Who needs sleep anyway.

BTW Hello All

Chris Wiseman
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hello! Welcome to the fold :) We have a section here for r/c too - maybe you can bring some of your knowledge to help out :)
  8. Deepshark5

Deepshark5 New Member

Its actually possible to build an r/c model out of card - who knew ?

The one method I have seen involves corrugated cardboard covered in clear tape. This was on the SPAD website (Simple Plastic Aircraft Design). SPADs are usually made of coreflute/twinwall, and drainpipe or u-section aluminium. But some enterprising builders use corrugated cardboard - dude down in Argentina made a twin(!) r/c combat ship. Great advantage is strength and cheapness.

the other way that I saw was - build a model the size you want, and ensure its both strong and light. Then - and this is the good bit - gently brush the model with fibreglass resin, and allow to dry. Do this at least 3-4 times, and be willing to sand down gently smooth surfaces like wings or hulls. Spray-paint. Wa-la ! A smooth skinned, thin walled model that weighs nearly nothing but is incredibly strong.

Hope this helps !
  9. dwfunk4475

dwfunk4475 New Member

flying paper models

I'm into the space modeling aspect, and just have to have the models actually fly. Detailing is not a chore with paper modeling and the indoor flyers and electric park flyers are an excellant source of micro electronics and controls with out adding too much weight.