How to lay a cork roadbed for a turnout

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
I glued the pink extruded foam on the piece of hoolow core door, so i'm ready to lay the cork roadbed.
I understand how to install it for straight and curved sections, but would like to see a few pictures about how to install it for a turnout.
Could someone please be kind enough to point me to a link about that subject, or post a few pics ?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Example - right-hand turnout.

1. Draw a centre line for the straight route, and the diverging route.

2. Install the left piece going straight through.

3. Install the right piece following the right side throught the turnout.

4. Install the remainder (right side) of the straight route (simple cut).

5. Install the left side of the diverging route (compound cut to match angles).

6. Sand lightly to remove rough edges.

7. Install turnout.

Don't worry too much if the pieces don't make a seamless fit - just be sure the gaps are small so the turnout is supported.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Attachments

• turnout cork.JPG
    turnout cork.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 140

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Different way than what I've been doing. I just put both pieces of cork down in the straight path, then cut the intersecting pieces to fit. Also don't forget to cut the slant off the straight pieces to get a better fit

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
If you're laying a pre-made turnout, you don't have to be overly fussy about the bits in the middle (3 and 4 on Andrew's drawing) as long as the top is flat.
Another way is to put 3 and 4 in position and cut through both pieces from their intersection to the diverging point of 1 and 2.
We were a lot fussier about this when we had to spike the rails to the ties on top of the cork.
You can also but a sheet of cork the right thickness and cut a single bit to fit under the turnout.