How to insult a model railroader ?

alex_mrrkb

Hi !!!

Feel goofy tonight ? Me too ... :)

As I mentioned when I join The-Gauge, the main reason I left rec.models.railroad is that I was tired of all the insults, flame wars, namecalling ... I still check some posts from time to time, just to find that it hasn't stopped.

If you look closely you'll soon realize that they are just about to say "My dad's stronger than yours !" Then it got me thinking ... "Hey, they're all model railroaders... why do they use old empty insults, why don't they invent some better ones ?"

"My dad's trains are closer to the prototype that your dad's"

"My RR Company's virtual annual revenue is bigger than yours"

"Your mama so dumb she bought a steam loco on eBay and she tought she had a good deal"

"Your mama so dumb she bought an auto-reverser unit so she can run trains on the ceiling too"

Got anything better (or worse) ? C'mon ... be inventive !!!

P.S.: I hope I didn't offend anyone ... I jusy couldn't resist trying to see what we all could come up with :) :) :cool:

Gardenrrguy

Got to remember the classic line, said in a pompous voice " The prototype had 42 inch drivers and 188 rivets in the boiler".

Insert any dimentions or any # of rivets.:D

MCL_RDG

In my world...

...the best insult you can toss is, "You must be a narrow gauger, huh"?

THE absolute best insult I ever tossed was when "we" spyed- I won't mention my confederates name, a guy we had seen on very many occasions video taping action around Allentown, PA. We said hello- made (tried to anyway) the usual contact, banter- etcetera but- he was too kewl. In fact he made it known that he was so much more a "professional" than we'd care to know. A real Grand PoohBah! OMG!!!

Ewwwwwww~~~~~~~~~~~~ A professional!
Ewwwwwww~~~~~~~~~~~~ with an ATTITUDE too!
Super!

Well fill your lens with this- as we jumped out from the other side of the tracks as the trailing caboose (yes son, they did run cabooses in my day- come to think of it- one of the last I saw on a train was this one- damn I wish I had a copy of that tape!) passed and there we are- waving and shouting at the camera pointed at "us"- what would have been a perfect passing of a sweet looking train passing thru Emmaus, PA but...

...too bad!

Broken hearts all around to those reading this who think I was rude! Valentine's Day is coming uP- a dozen all around.

You want to insult a modeler? A railfan? Turn off potential hobbyists? Be the requisite know it all- be sure to instill the idea that you're the boss and that if you're not the grand PoohBah- they don't know squat.

That's a way to insult me as a modeler, hobbyist, creator, gluer of things and other stuffao;sdkjtgf!

Damn glue on the keys!

Mark :D

MCL_RDG

I apologize for the...

...misinterpretation of the thread.

Here goes-

"Uhmmmmmm- does it do anything more than hum"?

"Say, that's a nice looking model, who'd ya buy it from"?

"Ya know- Barbie and Ken dolls are going like crazy on Ebay"!

"Have you considered therapy"?

"Misinterpreting the thread means you're..."

Mark:D

McFortner

<accent = "French">

Your father was a hamster, and your mother smelled of elderberries.

</accent>

:rolleyes: Sorry, could not resist.

Michael

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Make it go faster.....

"You know when I was a kid I use to play with trains"

"If you take your toy trains out of here, you could put in a bar and a pool table"

davidstrains

how about " it looks like you have way too much time on your hands?" :D :D :) :)

"Do you know how much your retirement account would be now if you had left all that money in it?"

:) :)

TR-Flyer

Hi all:
Since i model in an "extinct scale" (S), these are ones we hear a lot at shows:

"Are these HO?" (Really guys, no offense meant here!)
"Is this Lionel?" (THAT one really hurts if you’re a Flyer guy!)
Said in a pompous voice, "I do scale modeling.”
“Oh, look at the toy trains.” (Actually, us American Flyer guys are kinda split on this, I think it’s a complement, others don’t, especially the scale 1:64 guys) (Actually 2, and I’ve said this before, They’re ALL toys!)

“I thought “S” gauge died.” (No it was just put into stasis in 1967 and was reawakened in 1987 but few people knew about it until….(fill in date as you see fit)

Archaeologically yours,
Ted

brakie

I am mad at------! They did not get the Chessie System on correct!
It should be 1" more to the left! I won't buy any more till ------fixes the problem! Those cab letters is 17" instead of 18" that Chessie used...I returned all of mine to the hobby shop! Those fuel tanks are not painted...I cancel my order for XX many!

I am a serious railfan,would you guys mind not talking while I am video taping? But,of course not,we don't mind! chuckle,chuckle. Need I say what we did while he was video taping? :eek: :rolleyes: :D
We would have kept quiet wasn't for attitude..I mean you just don't waltz into a railfan spot and try to take over like you own the place!

Guys I pray that no one takes any offence in the above..It does get funny at times the way the nut and bolters carry on.

mransr

Re: In my world...

Originally posted by MCL_RDG
...the best insult you can toss is, "You must be a narrow gauger, huh"?

Mark :D

HEY! That's the best compliment you could pay a model railroader...:D

spitfire

Here's one, that actually happened. I was visiting Ben H's club layout in Victoria being chauffered by an old friend who I had hoped would amuse herself in the mall while I gawked at trains. Turns out it wasn't much of a mall so my friend was soon beside me getting bored.

Ben was kindly explaining about the layout when she piped up "But don't you ever want to just SMASH it?"

He looked totally horrified and needless to say I hustled her out of there in a big hurry.

cheers
:eek: Val

me on left, friend Fiona on right, just before she lost interest (photo by Ben H)

Attachments

• visit.jpg
    visit.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 97

msh

okay - how about....

have you ever considered taking up pottery?

I'm sorry - I'm not laughing AT you.

THIS is what you've been doing all night????

I'm no expert, but those rocks looks fake.

So what are you going to do when it's done?

Go play with your trains.

Isn't it great how even the silliest things can make us happy?

What did you buy now?

You're into TRAINS? You're not old and fat...

I've never known anyone else that does that - isn't it a lonely hobby?

Mike R

I don't think the "poor unwashed non-believers" who are not Model Railroaders can really insult us at all...they are more to be pitied than anything. :eek:
TRUE insults have to come from another actual Model Railroader:eek: ...you know, like a 7 page DCC vs. DC "war" over on the Atlas forum...:D :D ...it sometimes gets a bit like a Belfast or Londonderry type "theological discussion", if you get my drift.

As the insults come ;) ;) we do not weaken.....we remain in control of our emotions...we retreat to the safety of our train rooms with a stronger resolve than ever...THEN we jam yet another rail joiner deep into our thumb, and as a fakir would lie on a bed of nails, we show that we have transcended all physical pain and mental anguish, because we are Real Model Railroaders.:cool: :cool:
regards / Mike