How to glue metal

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Nov 17, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I will be making the landing gear on my plane out of painted metal (the real landing gear on the plane was welded steel pipes. I plan on painting them up a bit.

Anyway my real question is what should I use to glue the pieces together and to the plane? I assume my elmers wont work very well. I do have some UHU from europe I smuggled back with me. Will that stuff work?
    Thanks for any ideas!
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Depends which type of UHU it is.

I'd try hot melt glue if you have it, or epoxy.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Its a UHU gel. seems like really thick CA here in america
  4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Elmers works fine with metal,I tried it myself.
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

UHU Sekundenalleskleber? That is a gel type superglue or CA. I use it for canopys etc. glues fairly quickly, but you do have time to correct.

I really prefer hot melt for things that need to be strong and aren't really readily seen such as joining landing gear struts into a wheel well though.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Provided the metal parts are not going to be under much load, all these glues will work; for a paper model, I'm sure weight will not be an issue! Do make sure the metal is clean, a quick wipe with a cloth and some isopropanol (alcohol) will remove any grease, and maybe roughen the surface with some emery/carborundem paper. This will give the glue a 'key' and improve the grip.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

These planes dont have wheel wells - they were disposable kamikaze planes and the gear was attached right to the wing ;)
  8. hpept

hpept Member

Why not tin soldering? If you use copper or brass wires (which are both easy to bend) you can solder them together and also do a surface covering with tin which looks just about right as natural metal.
  9. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Solder it.
    But I've had some success with J-B Weld. It's a two part substance designed for fixing and glueing metal.
    If nothing else the claims and endorsments on the packaging are fun. It's got testamonials about customers using it to repair tractor axels and hydrolic jacks.

10. shrike

shrike Guest

JB-Weld*, along with duct tap and the strong atomic force are what keeps the universe together!

*JB-Weld, for those outside it's market, is a metal-filled epoxy available in various consistancies and curing times
  11. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Gluing metal

As a (now retired) plastic model builder, I made lots of LGs from brass tubing from my favorite hobby shop.

I never gave it a thought, just used gap-filling super glue (Zap-a-Gap, for example, but there are lots of others)(in some instances, thin super glue is fine). Parts have to be clean (wash with a solvent like acetone or alcohol before final assembly) and should have been scrubbed with fine steel wool to give a better surface for glue or paint adhesion. And don't use too much glue to keep the edges sharp. White glues may work, but much more slowly and they tend to run and obscure the sharp demarcations between pieces.

Both the brass tubing and wire and the super-glue can be found in most hobby shops, craft stores, and "mail-ordered) from sites such as

One other tip: use telescoping tubing pieces slipped over the smallest full-length piece (attachment point to wheel) rather than gluing little short pieces end-to-end.

Here's a photo of the main gear on my 1/72 B-25C from the old days of plastic:

It's made of brass tubing and super glue.