how to figure elevation question.....

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by trainsteve2435, Mar 16, 2005.

1. hello everyone, can someone explain to me the simpleist way to figure out elevation? i know you divide something into the amount of elevation, but im confused as to how the operation goes. any help is appreciated. thanks!:confused:
  2. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Are you referring to percent of grade?

If so then you take the change in elevation and divide it by the horizonal distance and multipy it by 100.

In math terms it is:

For example a one foot change in elevation over 100 feet is 1.0%
  3. Thanks Tom, thats what i was wondering!:thumb:
  4. ok guys, im haveing trouble. never been any good in math.... i have 5" of rise in 12', can someone show me how to set this up? thanks!:wave:
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I just taught my class this last week. In order to get the grade in percent, you need to have the same units in both vertical distance and horizonatal distance. So, you have 5" vertical and 12' horizontal. Convert the 12' to inches - 12ft x 12in/ft = 144 in. Divide 5"/144" = 0.035 x 100 = 3.5%. Get it?

6. Hunkiedoo

Hunkiedoo Member

Here's the easy way to construct track roadbed grades (I assume that's what you wanted to know for) :)

1: Design all your layout grades to be 2%. (I say this only partly tongue-in-cheek; 2% is a good layout compromise grade).
    2: Tape a 1/4" thick shim to the bottom of a two-foot long carpenters level.
    3: Put the level on the roadbed that you want to set to grade, with the shim end resting on the "downhill", lower, end of the roadbed.
    4: Adjust the roadbed until the bubble is level. You're done! No math!

(The logic is that there are 48 "quarter-inches" in two feet. One quarter-inch rise in 48 of 'em is equal to 2-in-96, or darn close to 2%).
  7. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Just one thing to do before you do step one: be sure your layout is level...:eek::rolleyes::) (also tongue-in-cheek):wave::wave:
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

Maybe I learned "new" math, but 0.25"/24" = 0.0104 = 1.04%, not 2%

9. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

Your trains should go up and down a 3.5 grade without any trouble. And don't worry about the grade being prototypical as your grades go down to your hidden yard.

Just my thoughts.

TrainClown ;)
  10. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

I'd throw my trigonometry equasions into the mix but the last time I did that it caused a number of high school flashbacks that unnerved too many people. :D :D :D