How to enlarge a model

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Werner Smuts, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Hi all my fellow paper modelers

Maybe somewhere this has been addressed before... but please help me, or please direct me to a place to end my wall1 frustrations.

I'm currently trying to enlarge a model but everything i tried was in vain.
    All i can do is print... print onto A3 and fit to paper... whoo hoo!
    NO! I want to make it even bigger.

As an example. I want to split parts to fit in ratio onto a A4 page. usually the parts fits onto 1 or 2 pages depends on model. If it costs me to fit all parts onto 1000 pages it's fine. I want it BIG! I hope all of this make sense

Can anybody please help.

2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'm sure there must have been posts about this, but I obviously didn't read them. Does your printer have a 'poster' setting. I.e. Where the printer automatically splits an A3 or bigger sized sheet into A4 sections which can be glued together. I had a Canon or Epson printer that did that. Can't remember which now.

Alternatively, scan the model, then split the scanned image into similar sized sections and print them individually. Make sure you don't use the 'fit to page' option, and use the same percentage scaling for each print.

That should give you the general idea
  3. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Thanks Mark,

I'll try this.... I'll report back....
  4. bugman72

bugman72 Member

Do you have Adobe Photoshop? If so, and if the files that you have are PDFs, you can open the PDF in Photoshop and enlarge using the Transform tool. I did this with a paper guitar model to make it full size. I opened the PDF in Photoshop, established my base page size (23"x35" in my case), and then selected each part from the PDF, pasted it onto the larger page and used the Transform, Scale to enlarge each piece. I had already established that I needed to scale everything a bit over 507% in order to make it full size. When you do the Transform, Scale command, you can specify an exact enlargement factor.
  5. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Mark, thank you.
    Yesterday Loopy gave me a link to Posterazor. This program takes a picture a splits it up on more than one page making it a big poster, the downside of it is that you have over laps to join so there will be a lot of seems on the model that might not look as good, but at least i can work from there on.

Mr. Bugman72 Thanks I'll try this method and report back. Thanks for all in giving me advice.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Werner, about the overlap in PosteRazor.
    You can cut through the two layers of the paper where the pages overlap which will give you a butt joint that lines up the image on the pages very good. You can then use a joining strip glued to the backs of the pages to join the separate pages. One of the strips of paper left over from the cutting process will work good. Joining strips help make the joints of the separate pages less obvious. :)

You can also set the overlap to 0 in step 3 if you want. It seems easier to line up the separate sheets if you include a small overlap, though. At least for me. :mrgreen:

I have used PosteRazor to print some very large map and labyrinth images . Works good. :thumb:
  7. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Thank you Doug, i appreciate your advice.
    I think this way will work just fine (For me....). Soon I'll be forced to move to a bigger place...... "by order of large models" :-D. I gather my wife won't be to thrilled about my new found bigger models oh sorry... model taking up the whole living room..... I JUST LOVE BIG!!! She doesn't :-(
  8. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

I use,(no download), I haven't seen Posterazor but it looks like it may be better than Bp!
  9. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I know I've put together an article (I believe complete with pics) on exactly how I do it. but the search engine here doesn't work right so I don't know how to find it.
  10. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest