How to???-Cut The Comm.

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by bandit1, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandit1

bandit1 Member

hey, i'll keep this short and sweet. i hear people often talk about cutting the comm. and just wanna know what this does, and how to do it. Thanks
  2. redheat

redheat Member

Cutting the comm. keeps your electric motor at peak performance, A comm. must be as close to round as possible for the brushes to seat and produce max power. Cutting the comm. requires a lathe which has either a carbon or diamond tip for cutting the comm. basically when you cut you take off a very thin layer the comm. well become shiney and the flat spots removed, There are different methods of cutting such as using a marker and coloring the comm. before cutting so that this way you can better see were the flat spots are and can continue cutting tell gone. Anyway without going into greater detail that is basically what comm. cutting is about hope it helps.
  3. Steve M

Steve M Member

Electric motors transfer power from the battery to the brushes that are in contact with the commutator on the armature. The commutator and brushes will wear after time and are sometimes scored and over heated. When this happens, you need to "cut the comm" and maybe even replace the brushes.

Peak performance somes from an armature with a perfectly round commutator that makes full contact with the brushes. I have a nice video that shows how a comm is cut on an armature lathe that I can sent to you through email. You'll need Real Player installed to view it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.