How to choose the correct crossing degree?

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
On my new layout I basically have 2 main lines that are independently powered. I want to use a #6 Atlas code 83 turnout (green cicle in pic) on the outside main line and run into a crossing ( Red cicle in pic) on the second inside main line allowing me to reach various facilities located inside of second line via the out side track. The tracks are spaced 3" on centers. How do I figure what degree crossing(s) to purchase? Thanks for your help.
thumbsup.gif
Tunoutwithcrossover.jpg

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
I am thinking I will actually have to use a #4 turnout and 12.5 degree crossings if I am thinking correctly. An Atlas #4 (4.5 to be technical) turnout is 12 degrees, 50 minutes or 12.83 degrees correct or no? The closest crossing available is an Atlas 12.5 degree which should make for a smooth transaction. Id rather not use #4 turnouts minus in a yard. But a 12.5 degree crossing with a #4 turnout with the limited space I have between tracks doesent leave me much choice. Any better options? Thanks.

richhotrain

Nov 11, 2004
Conrail,

The combination of Atlas #4 turnovers and 12.5 degree crossings is the right combination. I have a number of them on my double mainline track layout, permitting track one to crossover track two, while maintaining a 2 inch on center distance between the two tracks.

Incidentally, I have recently torn down this layout, and I am in the process of building a new layout. I plan to sell the #4 turnouts and 12.5 degree crossings which are all Atlas Code 83 track. Email me if you have any interest.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
The Atlas #4 is not a true NMRA standard #4 turnout, it has gentler curves (about 22in closure rail radius) and a #4.5 frog angle. The geometry fits better with their sectional track, 18 and 22 in radius curves. Unless you cut the diverging side of the turnout and perhaps the crossing back, I don't think you'll have any room for enough of a curve to take you up to the next crossing angle - about 20 deg. So 12.5 would be the best pick, you could move to 2in track spacing if desired.