Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Jul 7, 2007.
Guys,you may have noticed that I have slacked off a bit on this build.There is a good explanation for this and it is not what you may think, it is an attempt to do two projects at once.No not another diorama but something that I always promised myself to do and that is to write a little online booklet on how I rigged my 1/72 scale HMS Victory ship model.Right now there is precious little out there for the inexperienced rigger on the proper sequence to use when rigging a ship-of-the line.Lots of info on this or that but just about none on sequence and as you biplane modelers know this can be crucial to success in rigging anything.Cheers! John.
Don't apologize, take your time.
We understand about build time. Heck, I've made substantial progress on my big Galactica, but haven't had a chance to take photos and post!
We'll be here waiting. :mrgreen:
The windows are finished so now it is on to the two back doors.They will be of simple design being in the backyard.I plan a single window near the top.You will notice that doors were much narrower in those days. The figure looks about right standing in the door however you will see that the back is not finely carved as it doesn't show when placed properly in the diorama.It is also now quite shiny due to too much handling and will have to be re-painted.After the doors will come the porch and stairs which should be lots of fun!
I think I need a little change of pace for awhile so I thought that I would modify my returning war hero figure that will be going into the diorama.
I have changed the head for a more Canadian looking character rather than try to modify that hat.
I also will be removing all those wonderfully detailed medals from his chest and demoting him in rank.The rest of the uniform is of the military style of the era and needs no major modifications.
Please note : the replacement head is from my own collection and not part of the kit.
I sanded off all those hard won medals and used super thin super glue to fill in any imperfections and sanded that again till smooth again.
When placed in the diorama none of this will be visible so there is no need to re-sculpt anything.The head is only on temporarily as gluing it down is one of the last things I do after painting.Because head positioning is so important to the mood I want to create, it is best left to last.He has sort of a neutral expression on his face which is what I want as though he is questioning himself "do I really want to finish this airplane."
The above pic color is the closest to the facade's real color as it sits indoors.The next sunny day I"ll take it outside and see how it looks.I have started to weather this panel using dark grey and black pastels .I have also used an old toothbrush and sprayed a little very thin coat of raw umber acrylic over the whole facade to give it an older look.
Whats wrong with this pic?
Notice on the jig where it says "Front", now take a look at where the engine is placed in the fuselage.Now look where the leading edge is,then the trailing edge.@#$#$$$$$^&*!@# You guessed it the engine is on backwards.Wow what a stupid mistake!!!!!!!It is so easy to lose the big picture when you get too involved in the details.Somehow between Oct 19 and 21 I had a major brain fart of some kind and only discovered it today when I went back to work on the airplane.
Of course everything has been glued in place but luckily I think that the engine mount will be OK where it is, because if it was also involved I would pretty much have to start over again.
Thank goodness for "Uncure" and the fact that I didn't use epoxy!
The fix was easier than I thought that it would be and I am just happy I discovered it now and not after the wheels and other stuff were on.
This picture gives you an idea of where the major components should be when the flier is completed.(I better keep this pic near the workbench)
Separate names with a comma.