How thick IS that card stock?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by bruceuncle, Aug 5, 2008.

1. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

A quickie that might be of use:

I'm getting drawn more and more into 1:33 scale WWI aircraft modelling. With most of the freebie models available, the thickness of the card stock is critical in getting an accurate and clean build, especially with laminated formers.

Not having a micrometer, and with the card stock I'm buying not having any accurate specs available, I was left puzzling how to measure the thickness. "Yeah, it looks about 1mm. But with my eyesight and just a ruler it's impossible to measure." wall1

Simple. Just cut 10 pieces of the card and clamp them together. Then measure the thickness of the stack and divide by 10. For thinner card, cut 20, 30, 40, etc and divide by 20, 30, 40, etc. Whatever number gives you a stack that you can reasonably measure with a ruler.

My 1 mm card turned out to be 0.86 mm. Laminating it with my 0.16 mm printed card gives me 1.02 mm.

When cutting slots for formers (wing ribs, fuselage formers, etc) use a scrap piece on edge as a guide for the cuts rather then just following the printed lines. This gives a nice snug fit. If it's a repetetive set of slots (eg. wing ribs) make the first cut always on the same side of the slot, then make the second using the scrap piece as a guide. This ensures accurate alignment of the pieces when you assemble them.

Thanks to all those who take the trouble to post to this site. I've learnt heaps since I became a member. :wave:

2. calinous

calinous New Member

I've bought a cheap set of plastic callipers (made by ADW) at something like $3 in a hardware store (Praktiker I think). They're graded to 0.05 mm, and are also graded in inches (but I would certainly measure several sheets as it will reduce the measuring errors).
  3. ciefish

ciefish New Member

Hi Group!-

Hope the 2010 holiday season finds you all well. I haven't posted much to this site and excuse posting on an old thread but I thought this link was appropriate. It has lots of info on one page about paper; sizes, types, shapes, weights. Pertaining to this thread the page also talks about common thickness too. Disclaimer:: The link is to a vendor that sells paper products, I don't work for the vendor but liked the page so much I gave it a quick bookmark for future REF. Hope this link helps someone...

Paper Weight Convertion Chart n More